Ceiling experiment... Your thoughts??

IndyKlipschFan

This is a pic of the trey ceiling with a blue rope light. I like the effect, I think the side walls in the ceing part night be either white or the same light tan as the walls..

I am still not so sure what color to paint the ceilings in here... Flat Black might just be soo dark, and make the room look smaller.. something flat...maybe even grey? in the dim lights...might seem black.

Help with suggestions here!!!! Paint wise...

post-5910-13819269405288_thumb.jpg

Nicely done. Did similar in a kitchen B4. Used burnt orange in the recess and tan on the ceiling surface. Using just the indirect lighting the room ceiling eminated a kinda firey hue. Don't use gloss paint in the recess and use a dimmer on those rope lights....hope this helps.10.gif

well you can always start with grey and go darker if you want to...it's alot harder to make black anything lighter. However, I really like the idea of a flat black cieling in that part...it'd make it seem like the cieling was opening up to the night sky.

In that middle section might be cool to go black was my thought... it is the other ceiling I am worried about...

And the sides (going up the middle trey ceiling sides) ..a light blue.. sky to the heavens too... was exactly my thought.

And yep, already have the LUTRON 4 way dimmer too. (My wife bought it for me for fathers day.. NOW THAT, is a good wife.) For any of you that have met Cindy, she is just amazing.

Checked my Porter paint chart. I think you're looking for something to kill reflected light, but not be too oppressive. And your Blue rope lights should look neutral against it.

Try 7168-1 for a starting point, you can go a little deeper, but it's a Dark base, not Extra deep, so it'll never tint to black if you want to go that route (you can only put so many ounces of tint in before the paint falls apart)This gray is kind of a Voice-of-theatre grey to my eyes, that is, it has very little tonality (yellow, green, blue, or red) to it.

I take it the vertical section might be a blue or light color in order to reflect the rope light?

Michael

After talking with Colterphoto1 perhaps a flat dark greay might do the trick.. on all of the Horizontal walls. the vertical up the sides in the Trey ceiling might be a light blue to give the desired effect. Side walls kind of a light tan with the crown molding being a white white semigloss...

After talking with Colterphoto1 perhaps a flat dark greay might do the trick.. on all of the Horizontal walls. the vertical up the sides in the Trey ceiling might be a light blue to give the desired effect. Side walls kind of a light tan with the crown molding being a white white semigloss...

Seriously, you're going to all the trouble to make the ceiling non-reflective, right? Get satin or eggshell for the trim (at least the crown moulding) or else it'll reflect light like a mirror in contrast to your nice flat ceilings. If you need the doors and baseboards to be semi-gloss for scrubbability, that's okay. But if it were me, I'd do the crown in eggshell. You'll thank me later.

Michael

That photo is GREAT Roger! Beautiful pose, color, lighting, etc. PERFECT!

I would have thought you had a clothing consultation with a pro before that pose. It's pretty cool. Love bare feeties on the kids, next time get everyone cozied up against a sand dune on the edge of the beach.

I'm gonna have to differ a little bit.

I too believe a dark grey would be best with those blue rope lights. FWIW, white rope lighting would've given you more flexibility, and not made the room look so "Las Vegasy". Anyhow, the other thing I think you should consider doing is an application of milky white glazing (wiping and/or dry brushing) to simulate cloud streaks or faint cloud clusters. I'd do this very, very sparingly almost to the point that one would have to really look for the "clouds". I've seen the effect done and it was not only very dramatic, but tasteful.

Those blue lights wouldn't look right with a black ceiling. IMHO, the vertical face of the tray should be the wall color.

Tom

Seriously, you're going to all the trouble to make the ceiling non-reflective, right? Get satin or eggshell for the trim (at least the crown moulding)...

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I second that... semi-gloss is very shiny.

I would also tend to keep things simple... upper ceiling and it's sides in one colour... and lower ceiling in another. It'll give you more of the "hole cut out of the ceiling" or "view into the heavens" look it think you're after.

Rob

Great suggestions keep em coming!!

Looks like egg shell to the white trim inside and doors too in the HT.. Outside semi gloss.. Great to point things out like this too I agree. No need to reflect stuff everywhere....

I have two rope lights..yes they will be on a Lutron dimmer... one blue...one clear and dimmed your right, it looks red.. very cool effect, we have it upstairs in the master bedroom too.. bigger trey ceilings.

I should point out the carpet for this room is a dark burgandy red. The stage area is Black too. So a flat grey will be fine for the HT color wise ceiling.. I hope the side walls will be fine, but looking at colors if I want to do this one room to make it different.

IMHO, the vertical face of the tray should be the wall color

Tom has a good point there, in terms of what bro Steve calls 'paint etiquitte', all vertical surfaces in the room should be identical. If walls are to be beige, then the portion of the tray should match, and very dim white bulbs would add the 'safe glow' without being too showy. It would be dramatic without the Vegas look. I like this suggestion a lot.

Think about it.

Michael