Heresy vs. Heresy followup

postjob62

A quick thanks to all who helped me with this, and a couple of quick followups:

Is the cabinet construction the same between the original and II model? I've seen pics of a few II's where the backs had sort of a textured spray and didn't look so substantial.

Back to this bass thing-many folks feel the II edges out the original in bass, but the Klipsch website shows the bottom on the original as 50Hz and the II at 63Hz. Is the effective difference so small as to be completely subjective?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed,

I wouldn't worry about the specs. Klipsch has at times changed the way they test/report measurements, and that may account for it.

Both types of Heresy are substantial. They are constructed a little different as far as screws in back, how the tweeter mounts, how the grille cloth comes off. But the II is no weaker. I've owned 3 Heresies and 2 Heresy IIs and had no preference.

Since so many Heresies were built, I'd try to get a pair within short driving distance and then you don't need to be concerned at all about shipping. They had several different finishes and I would let that and price be the deciding factors.

----------------

On 8/26/2005 8:30:40 AM postjob62 wrote:

A quick thanks to all who helped me with this, and a couple of quick followups:

Is the cabinet construction the same between the original and II model? I've seen pics of a few II's where the backs had sort of a textured spray and didn't look so substantial.

Back to this bass thing-many folks feel the II edges out the original in bass, but the Klipsch website shows the bottom on the original as 50Hz and the II at 63Hz. Is the effective difference so small as to be completely subjective?

Thanks,

Ed
----------------

Ed,

The II's that I bought last spring are every bit as solid and beautiful as my I's from 1971. The II's usually have a grill cloth that comes off allowing accress to the drivers which are flush mounted to the front boards. The back panel does not come off. Most of the I's had the drivers mounted from the inside, with a removeable back panel. Again, as far as the build quality goes, I find both of mine to be fantastic.

That's it, I'm going to try to snag a pair. I'll A-B them against some of my AR's and report back. Come to think of it, I have never seen a low freq number specified for my smallest AR's, the 4x. I'll bet it's not any lower than 50 or so Hz, but it sounds great to me even if not in the range of the 10"-12" woofer AR's. So I'll bet that the Heresy's will be fine in that area. Sounds like a funny way to decide something, but this many dedicated enthusiasts can't be wrong.

When I draw a bead on some I may have more questions-I'm pretty cautious-meanwhile thanks to all for the excellent perspectives.

Thanks again,

Ed

----------------

On 8/26/2005 10:12:04 AM postjob62 wrote:

That's it, I'm going to try to snag a pair. I'll A-B them against some of my AR's and report back. Come to think of it, I have never seen a low freq number specified for my smallest AR's, the 4x. I'll bet it's not any lower than 50 or so Hz, but it sounds great to me even if not in the range of the 10"-12" woofer AR's. So I'll bet that the Heresy's will be fine in that area. Sounds like a funny way to decide something, but this many dedicated enthusiasts can't be wrong.

When I draw a bead on some I may have more questions-I'm pretty cautious-meanwhile thanks to all for the excellent perspectives.

Thanks again,

Ed
----------------

By the way, I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest, you can always buy new Heresy II's from Klipsch, seeing that we're using their website2.gif I've heard of Klipsch dealers selling them for around $1000 to $1200. About twice the price of a good used pair but you get to smell fresh cut lumber and fresh lacquer1.gif

I love my Heresy II's as much as I love the other Klipsch Heritage big boys I have. Like Paul Klipsch said, 2/3rd's the sound of a Klipschorn for about 1/6th the cost these days. They will not dissappoint especially if you are replacing the old AR 4AX's with them, I think you'll be shocked actually!