iFi Subwoofer Question

arclight

Hello Everone,

New iFi owner and memeber here.

I'm quite pleased with this system especially compared to everyhting

else on the market. The RSX 3's have a very smooth and balanced sound

and integrate with the sub seamlessly. I have sat here for hours and

the sub never draws attention to itself. Which is truly amazing. I have

never heard a multimedia system integrate like this one does.

A big thumbs up to the engineers and designers of this system.

My question is. What is the -3db extension point for this sub ?

Also what where the crossover changes in the RSX3's in comparison to the ones you would by on their own ?

I have been so impressed with these speakers that im thinking of

purchasing the larger 4's or 5's and creating a HT system around these.

Thanks

Thanks for the nice comments.

Off hand, I don't know the actual -3dB point. When corner loaded, the sub starts to roll off below 30Hz, so there is still meaningful output in the upper 20's. I really enjoy this sub too. It really is a system I can listen to (and have) all day.

The RSX-3 crossover has a high pass filter to protect it from receivers with low frequency output. The iFi version of the sat has this high pass filter removed since the iFi actively filters out the low frequencies. That's the biggest difference. Since we decidered we were making that change, we went the rest of the way and voiced it as a "system" with other crossover voodoo. The result is incompatibility, but the benefits were worth it. That's about all I can say.

The RSX-4 and -5 are great speakers. While you're at it check out the RVX-42 for front speakers in a HT with the RSX-4 or 5 as surround speakers.

Andy , my step father, who I bought the iFi from, was actually thinking about replacing his 5.1 bose with just the iFi. He loves the iFi system btw. Since hes moving the HT room out of the living room to a smaller room with no sub-floor and no ceiling space, running wires for surrounds is difficult. He was going to buy a new plasma and I was talking to him about the RVX-42's. How much better/different are they from the new SLX's. Which would be a better rout? Also, would you recommend them in a 2.1 config with a stereo receiver? I was thinking about either mating the 42's with a sub-12 or the SLX's with the sub12.

Well, there's the RVX-42 system here:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=867

The RVX-42 (available separately for the 2.1 config you have in mind) has drivers from the "Reference" line and an extruded aluminum cabinet, so the cost is obviously higher than the SLX systems here:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=938

and

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=937

and

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=936

The SLX is a molded cabinet with drivers from the "Synergy" line. It also has a really cool wall-mount system. The 5.1 system shows SLX surrounds, but Synergy WDST surrounds could also be used.

Both RVX-42 and SLX are great speakers with class leading performance.

Obviously from the product pages, Klipsch shows and recommends a 2.1 system. This can be done with any stereo receiver with compatible power levels. Most every DVD player has mixed L/R outputs that can go directly to the stereo receiver. A full surround application would need a surround receiver.

If you have a large space I would recommend the (Reference) RW-12 or (Synergy) Sub-12 respectively. Of course there are smaller subs for smaller rooms/budgets. I have an RW-12 with an RSX-3 system in my family room. I would prefer larger sats in a room of its size, but I got a great deal... and according to everyone at home it's too loud anyway!

My bedroom will soon have a mini DVD player with an iFi system.

Hope that helps.

(Oh, and the difference between the Bose and Klipsch will be staggering!)

Oh thanks, I did not realize Klipsch updated the synergy systems to incorporate the new subwoofers. My next question is what do I use to power a 3.1 system? Are there surround sound receivers which have 3.1 mode where the rear input is sent to the fronts?

Any Dolby Digital receiver could be used, and in the receiver's setup menu you would select:

FL/FR = small

Center = small

Surround = none (or off)

Subwoofer = yes

Some receivers will let you select the crossover frequency, but something like 80 or 100 Hz would work. Then the receiver will take the digital (coaxial or optical) signal from the DVD player and process everything according to the selections you made above.

The rear input will be processed according to Dolby standards (or DTS) based on your selections. I haven't done any comparisons to know what truly happens to the surround information.