Ok, total computer noob - problem with 5.1s HELP

maui7

I just purchased an Alienware system with the 5.1 promedia's.

The day it arrived I took the system over to a friends house and hooked it up, sounded great, did some LAN gaming. Brought it home, set it up and got nothing but base sounds and some hizzing/crackling from the speakers. Called tech support. Stepped through every thing they could think of and sent them back for replacements.

Ok, new set arrives, quickly hook them up - sound great! Unplug them and get them in to the postions I want them in my computer room and bingo! Only the sub sounds can be heard. If I turn it up enough (almost max volume) I get the same loud hizzing/crackling from all off the speakers (except the sub) that I had on the first set.

I tried every button I could find on my Creative sound card (Live 5.1) to see if I had my volume muted and everything seems fine. I can plug in my old Altec Lansing and they play fine off the sound card - course they are only a 3 speaker set up.

I am doubting I have have two bad sets of speakers, and I am thinking I must have done something wrong in the setup or with my sound card - but for the life of me I have no idea what. I am extremely frustrated at this point as I have unhooked and rehooked up these speakers so many times now.

Any help would be appreciated!

You obviously got a defective set. Contact Klipsch tech support. Email them at promediatech@Klipsch.com or call 1-888-554-5665.

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

IBM 30 GB 7200 rpm ATA 100

Pioneer DVD-105 Slot-Load (16X/40X)

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be Sony G420S 19")

SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1 (soon to be Audigy Platinum eX)

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Denon AVR-2802)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats + center)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 (soon to be Sunfire Junior or Carver Knight Shadow)

This message has been edited by oogins on 09-23-2001 at 04:55 PM

Hold a minute here

Disconect the speakers from your PC,now conect the front jack to a walkman to test.Do they sound ok or you still hear the same noises?

If the fronts sound ok then try the rear jack,do you get sound?Is it clear or the noise?

Now the center and sub....same test here.

If the speakers sound clean on when conected to a walkman then you speakers are ok.

Now set the SB Live ! to 5.1 speaker mode...

Listen to your old speakers on the main out...sounds good?

Now conect them to the black out,sound good?

And lastly to the sourround/center orange out...does it sound good?

It may be the DIGITAL/sub.center jack that causes your problem! Just maybe

Check all options.

TheEAR(s) Now theears