Question from the Netherlands (KSP400)

Peter

I have a question for my hometheater:

Heresy main.(1985)

KLF-C7 center.

KSP-S6 rear.

KSW-12 sub.

Onkyo 777

Today in a shop I listen to a set of KSP400 and wat a great sound. Only stereo not Dolby 5.1.

The shop give me a good price for the heresy and sub and now I want advice what te do......?

Is it a good choice to replace the heresys and the sub with the KSP400?

Is the KSP 400 (95 db)matching with the KLF C7 (99 db)?

Anybody with the same configuration?

Thank you for the answers and (sorry for my englisch)

Peter

Hello Peter.Can't offer advice on what you should do with your Heresy's VS the KSP400's,but I can tell you that the matching center for the KSP400's is the KSP-C6.You have the matching surrounds,the KSP-S6's.

I have the KSP300's and the center and surrounds as above and am very happy with them.Good luck to you.

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

Peter, I had the KSP400 with a C7 center and it sounded fantastic. I did enjoy the sound of the KSP's and the low's will blow you away. You could probably turn off your sub (or send it to me) if you buy those speakers. The KSP's have a different sound than the Heritage line. I did test a pair out for 59 days and although I really like them, I love the sound of my new (circa '87) Cornwall II's. I might have kept the KSP's if one of the drivers wasn't blown and I didn't own a set of KLF 30's, Cornwall II's, KG5.5's, Polk SDA1B's, and Martin Logan Arius. It isn't often you can get a pair of $3500 speakers for $700.

YES YES, I am the owner of a set Mahogany KSP400 speakers!!!!

Together with the KLF-C7 en the KSP-S6 it is fantastic.

A few questions

I put the "sub out" of my Onkyo 777 to the "LFE in" from the KSP400 speakers, what a great sound but if i listen to stereo i want also stereo low/bas and not like above configuration by the sub out of my 777!

So how do you setup your 400 speakers?

R.T.F.M. but I read that you cant put all the speakers inputs together and also connect the LFE input??? Is that right?

Do you understand my problem, please help me BOB G or someone else...

O what a stuppid english but I hope you give a answer

regards,

Peter.

And another question for any Moderator.Can I use a "Y" cable at the speaker end of my sub cable to feed a signal to BOTH the Low In and LFE In of my KSP300's

(without jumpers between low in and hi in,of course)?

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

Peter,evidently the moderators are in the back eating donuts and drinking coffee and listening to the new Reference speakers! So I'll take a shot at your questions.Of course you should RTFM but if your 400's are like my 300's the following should apply.

You basically need to send a signal to the speakers. You can do that via speaker level to the binding posts on the speakers leaving all the pretty gold jumpers in place.You could then run a sub cable from your receiver's sub out to the LFE IN on the 400's.In your receiver's bass management set front speakers large and

LFE/MAIN/LFE+MAIN to LFE.

You could also remove the pretty gold jumpers between the low and mid binding posts on your speakers and send

the low signal to the 400's subs via line level.Run speaker wire to either the mid or hi binding posts(which are coupled with the straps)and run a sub cable from your receiver's sub out to the 400's low in.YOU CANNOT USE BOTH LINE LEVEL LOW IN AND SPEAKER LEVEL LOW

IN! In your receiver's bass management you could then set your fronts small and sub "yes".

If your receiver has only one sub out you'll have to split the signal with a "Y" cable in order to feed both 400's,as they have inputs only.Perhaps the easiest hook-up would be all jumpers in place and sub cable to LFE IN on 400's with speakers set large and LFE only in receivers bass management.

I know BobG had the 400's so maybe he'll jump in with some expert advice.Hope this helps somewhat Peter and I hope you enjoy your speakers.They are really fine speakers that,when properly set up,give great sound.

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

Keith

Thanks for your reply.

------------------------------------------------------You basically need to send a signal to the speakers. You can do that via speaker level to the binding posts on the speakers leaving all the pretty gold jumpers in place.You could then run a sub cable from your receiver's sub out to the LFE IN on the 400's.In your receiver's bass management set front speakers large and

LFE/MAIN/LFE+MAIN to LFE.

------------------------------------------------------

Wat I dont understand is "LFE/MAIN/LFE+MAIN to LFE."

And what happend when I play stereo (or 5 channel stereo) with my Onkyo 777, the signal is going to the speaker level AND there is also a subout signal going to the 400's.

What I want is when I play stereo that I have "STEREO LOW" and when I play Dolby Digital that the sub out of my 777 feed both off the 400's.

The last line above is now my configuration and I put out the jumper to the low off my 400's.

So when I play now stereo the sub out is feed my 400's but that is MONO and not stereo low.

I hope you understand my poor englisch

----------------------------------------------------

There is also a little problem with a "little" noise that is comming out off the speakers (bass) when the 400's are on but the have no "sound" signal.

The local shop tells me that the signal wires are comming to close to the power cables...You don't have that problem because off 110 Volt but we have 220 Volts. Or did you also hear something?

So sunday I open my 400's and try to separate the signal and the power cables, the show me in the shop how to do that and it is only 15 min work.

-----------------------------------------------------

And where is BOB G so he can also help me a little with my questions...

Regards,

Peter

I've wired my KSP-400's numerous ways (sold them to get the RF-7 system but had them for about 2 years).

It is important to remember that LFE and bass are different so you need to connect both to your KSP-400's. I ran line level from the LFE out on my processor to the LFE in on the speakers, bi-wired the speakers running one cable to the LF speaker posts and another speaker cable to the mids and highs with good wire replacing the gold straps connecting the mid and hf binding posts. This worked very well. I got LFE when there was LFE present and obtained very solid bass in 2 channel situations.

You actually CAN connect both LFE and line sub simultaneously, but the problem is with LFE level. On many amps, it is very different in level than the 'normal' bass, so if you connect both at line level, one is way too high or one is way too low. You can experiment without hurting anything, just be cautious. Don't play the 1812 at max volume as your first test.

Using a y splitter to run both inputs from a single line level cable only raises the level by 6 dB. Nothing more so you can get the same effect by raising the volume control on the sub by that amount. There are reports that disagree with this, but that is what SHOULD be happening according to our EE's.

hopefully to point out & not further complicate, most if not all av receivers handle both low bass & lfe out from what is usually called a sub out. hence the confusion on the term "LFE In" on the speaker.

take it is the same as the RP - a nonfiltered input which should be ideal for connecting to a filtered output. i figured the line in is filtered & should be connected to an unfiltered output like a front preout.

well, whatever works Smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by talktoKeith:

Peter, do you have an owner's manual for your KSP400's?

Keith

Keith,

I don't have a "digital" *.PDF manual for my KSP400. I have the manual only on paper but I want it also "digital". I now.......... I am grazy

Bob and Keith and boa12,

First I explain my connections; I have only ONE speakercable from my 777 to the mid/high posts of the 400's (the jumper to the Low disabled) and a connection from the 777 "sub out" to both LFE "in" of the 400's.

Bob write " I got LFE when there was LFE present and obtained very solid bass in 2 channel situations" and I don't understand this because when I play 2 channel with my Heresys and KSW12 the LFE out of my 777 is sending a signal to the KSW12...

I hope you understand this.

So this is my question(s);

The sub of the 400's is (I think related to my heresys and KSW in two channel situation) getting two signals in 2 channel stereo, one of the speakercable (with all the jumpers enabled) and on of the LFE..........? Is this a problem ?

So CAN I put all the jumpers on the 400's (Low-Mid-High)for the speakercable and also connect the LFE ???

All jumpers enabled with one speakercable is I think "almost" the same as separately connections (Bi-wiring) from the same amplifier to all the speakers ??

Thank you for all the help,

regards,

Peter.

Peter,if you had ALL the jumpers in place on the 400's and the LFE IN on the 400's connected to your receiver with a sub cable,then you would only get an LFE signal when LFE was present.That's assuming that in your rceiver's bass management you had your front speakers set 'LARGE' and LFE setting set 'LFE ONLY'(not familiar with the 777).

I have found with my 300's that I prefer using speaker level signal to my 300's with the LFE in connected to my receiver sub out for LFE.Fronts set large.I get a full range signal in two channel via speaker level and LFE when there is a LFE signal present,just as BobG did.

>>>>>>Bob and Keith and boa12,

First I explain my connections; I have only ONE speakercable from my 777 to the mid/high posts of the 400's (the jumper to the Low disabled) and a connection from the 777 "sub out" to both LFE "in" of the 400's.<<<<<<

Peter,put all jumpers back on rear of 400's and in receiver's bass management set 'sub no' and/or 'LFE'only.Your receiver's bass management needs to be set up so that the receiver sub out is sending an LFE signal only to the speakers.

You may get an improvement in sound by later replacing the gold jumpers with a good quality speaker wire.And bi-wiring as BobG did.I have AudioQuest Slate speaker wire which has 8 individually wrapped wires.I intend to bi-wire my 300's with 2 wires to each of the + and binding posts of the mid/hi's(jumpers attached) and 2 wires each to the low + and - binding posts(jumpers removed).I'll then set them large and get a full range signal via speaker level and send the LFE signal via low level receiver sub out to the LFE in on 300's.

Hope this helps.

Keith