House of 1000 Corpses

damonrpayne

I caught this on cable Saturday night during an otherwise great Labor Day weekend.

Let me summarize my review by saying I challenge anyone with an IQ over 80 to sit through this entire movie.

This Rob Zombie film was in the works for years and years. Whether the issue was studio trouble, funding, or artistic block is not known. I expected a lot more out of any film that was worked on for more than one year.

This is a horror film. The premise is a great campy horror concept: young people travelling across the country in a less than reliable car stop in a small town and are freaked out by some of the locals. One of them is writing a book about wacky road-trip attractions and questions one of the locals about a mythical Dr. Satan character who came from those parts. This causes the youngsters to travel out into the country where their car breaks down...

This movie sucked ***, bad, hard. While I can say that it is different, that is not always a god thing. The characters are a bit over the top, the things they are doing are a bit over the top. The acting is abysmal, I predict that this film will be used to weed out students in film classes in the future.

I can only hope that the bizarre effects and action in this film achieved exactly what Rob Zombie wanted. The constant camera cut outs to B horror movies, or camera effects that look like a bad acid trip constantly reminded me of Natural Born Killers. Rob Zombie is not Oliver Stone or this might have been watchable. I did make it through the film and I will never get those 90 minutes of my life back. The film lacks even the garabe that makes other campy horror films tolerable.

House of 1000 Corpses is billed as "A Rob Zombie Film"; even Hollywood is not likely to roll the dice at this game again, meaning this will likely be known forever as "The Rob Zombie Film"

Actually, as bad as this movie is ( and it sucks), he JUST released a

new film, in the theaters. The critics actually liked this one,

The Devil's Rejects. Haven't seen it yet, but hope to, as it

should much better from what I've been reading.

But yeah, agreed on this one, it sucks.

I can only hope that the bizarre effects and action in this film achieved exactly what Rob Zombie wanted. The constant camera cut outs to B horror movies, or camera effects that look like a bad acid trip constantly reminded me of Natural Born Killers....

I've always been a fan of his music but man that movie is an abomination.

I didn't see it, but heard similar things. He did intentionally aim for the "B" movie feel, but missed the mark there too. Guess I'll skip over it when it comes up on the "scream network" and just stick with his music and occasional qwerky videos instead.

BTW, It took forever to get it out as he lost the financing from the movie house, and ended up doing it himself. Wonder why... [;)]

Rob

Geez Damonrpayne, why don't you tell us how you really feel!

As a lifelong fan of all things disgusting and disturbing in music and movies I have to say Zombie hit the nail on the head with the center of the hammer with his two movies. I think Zombie's feel for the 1970ish "B" horror flick was dead (bad pun) on. The gore was certainly not as top notch as, say, Peter Jackson's "Dead Alive" (yeah, the same guy who did Lord of the somethinorothers trilogy that made a bazillion dollars) but the shock value was still good nevertheless. I reviewed "The Devil's Rejects" several weeks ago in this forum and I think it has had three whole views since then. Evidently, the number of folks who like this sort of stuff is even smaller than I thought.

Not for everybody for sure.

[6]