allan and others information needed on SPU

sunnysal

Hi Tony,

I've been looking for one of these for quite a while. They

don't sell cheap though. Expect to spend around $500 for one in decent

condition. You can get one with broken stylus for less and have it

retipped. Allan knows where to send them.

AFAIK, they can be used with SME 3009/3012 as well as Ortofon arms

(don't remember the designation). As for SME 3009, earlier

(non-improved) versions are said to be better. That's all I have.

Good luck.

Kudret

I can't reccomend you buy this cartridge. You have to rethink everything you thought you knew about high-end vinyl playback. Once you get over the "this can't be right" stage and really begin to play with these you may well find, as many of us have, that the Ortofon SPU when mated to the proper arm and table is spectacularly good--musical, warm, just RIGHT in all the ways that matter.

The SME 3012 is the best arm for this one--and you do need to look for either a very early one or one of the late "R" models. A 3009 will do fine as well--and the Ortofon and Fidelity Research (1970's high end Japanese arm) arms also mate well.

What table are you planning on using this with? There are really only a few that I would reccomend.

This is a 1960's SPU GT/E--you won't need a step-up or a MC switch on your preamp. It looks like it's in OK condition--the suspension on the SPU is very stout and I have seen 35 year old cartridges that perform almost as well as those that have been completely overhauled.

Figure $400 for this one, give or take.

I own about 10 of these and buy every one I find that's CHEAP.

Hi Tony,

I've been looking for one of these for quite a while. They don't sell cheap though. Expect to spend around $500 for one in decent condition. You can get one with broken stylus for less and have it retipped. Allan knows where to send them.

AFAIK, they can be used with SME 3009/3012 as well as Ortofon arms (don't remember the designation). As for SME 3009, earlier (non-improved) versions are said to be better. That's all I have. Good luck.

Kudret

FWIW the earlier 3009's have a split counter weight assemply which allows for far heavier carts than later models. If one considers the SPU route, it is a nice, and possibly the cheapest (currently) way to go. I also have an Ikeda (which I think Allan mentioned in an earlier thread?) which is a superb arm, but in an altogether different price league.

Allan, I have been thinking about mounting this on an old empire 208 (108?) that my dad has stored away, I am not sure what arm it has but it must have been what came with the turntable to begin with. He has another idler driven turntable stored away, it was older and I think it was a HH Scott, I am not sure of the model. I have to wait until my next trip to the US to check them out. regards, tony

BTW I see that ortofon has a whole line of new SPU re-releases, starting at less than $800 how are they?

The Ikeda is still in production, isn't it? They are WAAAY expensive--like $2000? When I looked at one it sure did bare a stiking similarity to the old 12" Fidelity Research 64 --it must be a super-high quality refined version of that arm, which means it is SUPERB!!!!

Allan - It is a beautiful, if costly arm. It IS still in production. I will snap a pic of mine when I get home (damn work really hinders my ability to post!).

• 1 month later...

I had a wanted ad running on Audiogon for SPU G/T and

I got an email from someone in CA. He said he had one

stashed in a drawer for over 40 years and he didn't remember

for how long he had used it. He was asking for half the price

they usually sell for on eBay. I called the telephone number

he sent with his email and I talked with this very nice 78 old

gentlemen from CA. After our long chat I felt confident enough

to send him the money order, and I am glad I did. Here it is.

spu1.jpg

spu2.jpg

I have a SME 3009 S2 improved which is not the right

arm for this cartridge. I improvided and hooked it up

anyway and despite the improper setup it sounds very

nice. I want to thank Allan Songer for this excellent

recommendation.

I am having difficulty in using my Shure stylus pressure

gauge to properly set the stylus pressure. The magnet

in the cartridge attracts the metal lever of the stylus

pressure gauge. I belive I managed to set the weight to

1.5 gr (is this the right weight?) but I want to be sure.

Can someone recommend a reasonably priced tylus

pressure gauge that would work with this cartridge.

Also, does anyone have a SME 3009 (earlier version,

or better yet 3012) that you no longer need?[;)]

Kudret

How on earth are you balancing an SPU on an S2 improved SME? The only think I can think of is that you're somehow adding weight to the back end of the arm with tape? Sounds dangerous to me!

You're WAY off on the tracking weight--this looks like a mid-1960's SPU and these track well at about 2.8 grams in my experience at 1.5 you are NOT hearing what an SPU can do!!

I use an ancient Grado scale that is VERY accurate. You should be able to find the more modern Ortofon scale--it's plastic and should work just fine--you see them on ebay all the time and they sell for about ten bucks.

I wouldn't be using that SPU with the S2 imporved if I were you--buy a 3009 or a 3012 and sell your arm.

How on earth are you balancing an SPU on an S2 improved SME? The only think I can think of is that you're somehow adding weight to the back end of the arm with tape? Sounds dangerous to me!

Allan, I had to hear it. Yep, I used two sided tape and added weight from another tonearm.

You're WAY off on the tracking weight--this looks like a mid-1960's SPU and these track well at about 2.8 grams in my experience at 1.5 you are NOT hearing what an SPU can do!!

The cartridge came with some documentation for SPU/SPE where it recommends 1 to 2 grams of tracking weight. Once I get a new arm, I'll use 2.8 grams.

I wouldn't be using that SPU with the S2 imporved if I were you--buy a 3009 or a 3012 and sell your arm.

I was actually bidding on a early version 3009 but when the seller started to reveal that maybe the tonearm needed rewiring, I stopped bidding on it. I really want to get a 124 with a SME 3009 or 3012. I am selling some gear and hope to start looking for one soon. Meanwhile, Il go back to SHURE V5.

Thanks also for the stylus gauge recommendation.

Kudret