Questions on Adding Additional Front Main Speakers to Existing...

Tim_in_NC

If I ever decide to add another set of Towers to my existing RP-5 Front Mains...

Thus have both the RP-5s as Front Mains and RF-5s as Front Mains... (2 sets of Towers in Front)

Could I use the Front PreOuts on the AVR7300 and add a 2 channel amp to run the extra RF-5s...and still use the internal amp of the AVR7300 as I currently do to power the RP-5s???

And...

Would everything work in harmony...still have the effects of DTS, Dolby Digital, etc... on both Front Sets...

Thanks,

TIM

Generally speaking, you never want to use multiple speakers to reproduce the same information and frequency band. Adding RF-5's to your RP-5's is technically feasible, but not beneficial. With both speakers reproducing the same signal, they interfere with each other and the result is a very messy frequency response. Also, that response will vary greatly from listening position to listening position. Even small shifts in the position of your head will reveal large changes in tonal balance.

The general reason someone would wish to do this is to increase overall system power handling and output. This is achievable but at the expense of accurate tonal balance.

While it is absolutely possible to do it, if more front output is what you seek replace the RP-5's with RF-7's instead. Sell the RP-5's to recoup your costs or move them to the rear positions.

You can add Front Effects/Presence speakers to the front to add depth/width to the soundstage as I have. Some Yamaha receivers have preouts and internal amplifiers to run a pair of Front Effects/Presence speakers.

I first saw it in Qman's system and I implemented something similar using Heresy II's, Qman is using La Scala's inverted above his highly modded Klipschorns. I like the difference in makes.