Photo tips

colterphoto1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES, please resize! As someone who must contend with dial-up (at around 40 kbs), because I have no alternative[:(], I respectfully request that you please resize your 4, 5, or 6 megapixel pictures to something around 150 kb or less. There are likely more of us poor dial-up dinosaurs that you might think. I simply cannot open some threads sometimes because of embedded pictures, which would take several minutes to download them all and eventually display the thread and replies. Thanks for your cooperation.[:D]

I understand completely because when at home, I also am regulated to dialup... the PIC has been deleted

It could be very frustrating, but you have to let the kids play. Anyway, the best way to minimize your pics is just set your camera to "Small" instead of "Large" when you take the picture of something you would like to post. That should do the trick.[:D][:D]

I take far to many PICs of construction sites with my digi cam and ALWAYS leave it set on the max res so that small details can be zoomed in on when viewing later...

I have never had any resizing issues with any other forum that I posted PICs to but now that I am on my way to learning how to resize PICs that I intend to post here I'll "Get-R-Done" (yea, I'm sure lots of folks will hate that phrase too, lol)

I have no intentions of changing the res on the cam because I have yet to take a PIC that I intended soley for posting here.

SOftware is shrinking these down from 640 to only 350, that's why they're so small on screen. Last one left me as 500K file, came up as 72K, so they're really losing a lot of detail.

I'd like to see screen size of 640 and 200Kb file size, if that wouldn't hurt speed or server space too much.

Michael

Michael, based on this and our talk yesterday, I started a new thread in the Website forum, Pic size and quality

It's increasingly obvious to me that pic quality AND detail are being lost in addition to shrinking them in size. The above pictures of equipment and the Epcot center looked fabulous until the software snapped them down and made them fuzzier and less rich. I expect that many of the forum's pics in the old software and threads won't look as good, now.

Larry

SOftware is shrinking

these down from 640 to only 350, that's why they're so small on screen.

Last one left me as 500K file, came up as 72K, so they're really losing

a lot of detail.

I'd like to see screen size of 640 and 200Kb file size, if that wouldn't hurt speed or server space too much.

Michael

Michael, based on this and our talk yesterday, I started a new thread in the Website forum, Pic size and quality

It's increasingly obvious to me that pic quality AND detail are being lost in addition to shrinking them

in size. The above pictures of equipment and the Epcot center

looked fabulous until the software snapped them down and made them

fuzzier and less rich. I expect that many of the forum's

pics in the old software and threads won't look as good, now.

Larry

That's why you just click on the picture and open it up...then you

won't have the resizing issue and it should look fine (the inline pics

are a pseudo thumbnail picture) - sadly they're not any smaller in file

size so it kinda makes no sense because you have to load the picture

twice now.

I recall seeing a screenshot of the beta version of the new forum that I believe Picky was testing . It showed a resize image button in the toolbar . That would be very handy to have . Any possibility of including that ? Also any possibility of going back to posting pictures as attachments that you have to click on to open up as opposed to being automaticaly posted ? It seems like either of these would speed up the forum for dialup users . I have broadband so it's not much of an issue for me .

That's why you just click on the picture and open it up...then you won't have the resizing issue and it should look fine (the inline pics are a pseudo thumbnail picture) - sadly they're not any smaller in file size so it kinda makes no sense because you have to load the picture twice now.

Well, well, a new bit of information there, Dr.

The problem is just what you said -- I get a box asking if I want to save or run the file, then it loads it all over again, and finally opens it in MS Photo Editor. That's no good -- I have to go back to the thread to see what's being said about it, and there's still the same crappy thumbnail. I still think the forum software shouldn't shrink it so much and compress the detail out of it.