Interesting find in an LP I just received

rplace

I picked up Jimmy Smiths Bucket off of a guy on ebay. It has NYC address and vangelder in the dead wax. Nice and heavy record pretty darn good shape as side 2 is perfect and side 1 has two faint scratches. I cant wait to fire it up tonight. Original cellophane still on the cover with a price tag of $3.88. Not a collectors dream I am sure, but I am really only interested in good sounding LPs and not the collector value.

So I take a peek inside the cover and see a small paper slip. Turns out it is the original receipt for the LP dated 5/24/67. Very cool, but worthless I am sure, piece of vinyl history. The receipt values for store, clerk, date, Description (BN 84235), quantity, etc. are all filled out by hand. Front and back has all sorts of info on the store including the line:

For those hard to get records come in a browse

Phone numbers on the receipt have the old school two letters in the exchange with no area code. DE 2-2737 and WE 9-7972. Very Retro looking. Since the price tag is on the cellophane and the receipt is dated with same price as the tag it might make a cool piece of audio art to hand on the wall of a music room.

Anyway nothing earth shattering, I just thought it was a nice prize in my box of crackerjacks.

Side note: The seller when the extra mile to insure save passage by using two old covers to protect the product. They were Styx Grand Illusion and Joe Perry Project. Oh how the mighty have fallen. [;)]

Ever see the Simpsons episode where Bart buys a bong at a garage sale? Says he is going to use it as a pencil holder. I think Homer has some flash back at that point.

Bart: I bought this cool pencil holder.

Homer: Heh heh, far out man. I haven't seen a bong in years.

Getting excited over a vintage '67 receipt? I've got shoes older than that. It's always nice to find a little provenance with an oldie but goldie, isn't it?

I enjoy collecting and restoring old magic lanterns (early slide projectors that used glass slides) and recently took apart a depression-era Victor for restoration and found the original owner's card dated 1932.