Corner 5.1 Placement

wiz561

Hi!

I'm having a few problems trying to arrange my speakers in my room. Any help would greatly be appreciated. To describe my setup, please check out the pic. The room is 16x12 and I have tried to do the best I can with the pic! The "Arch" description is an archway, the one on the top leads out to the front door, the one to the right of it on the rear wall leads to the dining room, and the arch on the bottom leads to a hallway that connects all the rooms.

I have a pair of Reference RF-3's for my left and right (represented by red), a center RC-3 (again, red but above the tv), and two surrounds RS-3's (represented in yellow) for my rears. I haven't set the rears up yet, but plan to do so soon. I have a Sony V555ES receiver, and a 32" TV (represented in the pic).

I've had my equipment for awhile, but because of the goofy layout, I don't know how to place the speakers, especially the rears. I was thinking of mounting them towards the ceiling, but don't know how many inches down. I can mount a speaker above the arch, but it would probably be about flush with the ceiling if I do that.

I was also thinking of getting the klipsch satellite/subwoofer set. I *love* the sound from my speakers, but I just think it's too awkward for this room. Another problem is money, in where I don't have enough to get the sat/sub combo. So, I'm pretty much stuck with what I have... Stuck, meaning the room, not the speakers!!!!

Again, any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

post-15969-13819271708238_thumb.jpg

Nice complement of speakers but unfortunately, that room layout isn't going to cut it for serious listening.

Where to start, firstly there is no symmetry to the distance from the speakers to the listening positon. There isn't even a single seat with a good viewing/listening position.

What are your listening tastes? Is this more of a Theatre setup, or do you mainly listen to music with some movies? How many people must be comfortably seated most of the time? Can you make do if we can get the main 3 cushion sofa in a prime location, with the loveseat nearby for extra company?

Michael

I have to agree with colter...obtaining some form of symmetry is an

absolute must to enjoying both music and movies. At the very least make

sure all the speaker angles are symmetrical. Your R-35 series speakers

are some very nice speakers so don't lose hope too quickly. Btw,

surrounds should be mounted at least above ear height (I prefer no less

than 1 foot above ear height). As you move up towards the cieling, you

will want to angle the speakers down, pointing them towards the main

listening position (fire that sound right at your head).

Here are two re-arrangments you might consider:

post-10350-13819271709688_thumb.jpg

MS Paint [:)]

I opened the picture up in one window (zoomed in a bit to make it

easier to see) and then I opened up another copy of MS Paint, erased

over everything and then copy and pasted over (applying the necessary

rotations as needed). MS Paint only does 90 degree increments so I had

to manually recreate a few items (like the TV).

Mike... you have tooo much time on your hands... [:|] wait till midterms... [;)]

I have to agree with colter...obtaining some form

of symmetry is an

absolute must to enjoying both music and movies.

It's not

entirely true... but definitely easier to predict. I've already

had a similar angled TV setup at one point... and it is quite flexible

to entertain friends and provides a very comfy "casual" TV watching position

lying down on the couch.

The angles also reduce the influences of primary reflections on the

mains and provides a seating position which is not necessarily in a

peak or null as a "centre" position in a symmetrical room does.

The speakers don't benefit as much from corner loading but could be

smoother in response.

It's not inherently better or worse... it really will vary.

Unfortunately for surround sound, you'll run into some very big

problems for rear channel placement and balancement. I would

concentrate on the BIG couch (the only place facing the TV) and put one

surround at each end of it (one over the table as shown, and the other

between the couch and arch). Then pick your favourite seat and do

your best to balance the levels.

My current setup is symmetrical... but the Khorns kinda forced it...

Rob

I have to agree with colter...obtaining some form of symmetry is an absolute must to enjoying both music and movies. At the very least make sure all the speaker angles are symmetrical. Your R-35 series speakers are some very nice speakers so don't lose hope too quickly. Btw, surrounds should be mounted at least above ear height (I prefer no less than 1 foot above ear height). As you move up towards the cieling, you will want to angle the speakers down, pointing them towards the main listening position (fire that sound right at your head).

Here are two re-arrangments you might consider:

Dr. Who , You are right on in the first one . This is close to how I have my system set up . Very enjoyable from my large "home theater sectional couch " , and also from behind it . My house is a gathering point for big Football Games or other such events . It Rocks , and will move you , sometimes literally !

Thank you very much for your information, especially Dr. Who's picture mods!!!!

I'm just having a hard time, as you can all see. I originally had the TV setup in drwho's second pic, where is was against the wall where the longer couch is now. However, the TV stuck out about 3 feet and didn't allow much room to walk around. We moved the TV to the corner, so it would be a little nicer looking, and it is...but i'm just having a problem trying to set everything up.

I think I might run the first drwho jpeg across the gf and see what she thinks about it. I was originally thinking about that setup, but not sure how everything will fit.

Looks like I might have some moving to do this weekend!!!! :-) Thanks again for all of your help!

Mike

Do you have to have both sofas in there? If you could get by with just the big one, leave the TV setup in the corner, then mirror the 45 degree angle with the long table and big sofa. Surrounds could be one on each end of the wall to the bottom side. It's an awful lot of furniture for one moderate room.

I agree that setting it up angled does add some visual interest. For a dark theatre room, looking straight at the TV is okay, but this is a LIVING room, setting the sofa away from the wall adds interest and gives some back side space for the surrounds to work correctly. Sofa against the wall is ugly and bad for surround.

There are other concerns here, such as can you sit on sofa and see out the window, not blocking doorways, traffic pattern, etc.

Small chicago house, a lot of furniture! :) I think what we're going to do is move the TV from the corner to where it was in the first jpeg from dr.who. This will at least give us an idea of how it looks around the room.

If it looks too cookey, then I think I will just stick the surrounds to where they were in the original picture I drew up and see what happens. I really miss not having the rear fill, and the rears have been sitting in my basement now for about a year and a half.

But thank you again for all your feedback!

Small chicago house, a lot of furniture! :) I

think what we're going to do is move the TV from the corner to where it

was in the first jpeg from dr.who. This will at least give us an idea

of how it looks around the room.

If it looks too cookey, then I think I will just stick the surrounds to

where they were in the original picture I drew up and see what happens.

I really miss not having the rear fill, and the rears have been sitting

in my basement now for about a year and a half. But thank you again for

all your feedback!

If you end up going back to your current layout, I would suggest moving

the Right Surround (top right of the picture) to the other side of that

archway (so move it left along that top wall). This would get you out

of that high traffic area and will allow you to have a better angle for

the people sitting on the far couch.