University Classic + Corner Plans

D-MAN

Ran across these on the net, so here they are...

The "Classic" is a 50Hz Fc horn, if I remember correctly.

On its drawback side, the main issue is that it is as big as the Altec 825/828 (VOT) cabinet, and embodies a bigger footprint than the Khorn BUT doesn't go as low.

On its plus side, it's probably the easiest build of all the front-loaded horns and its folds are very "shallow", resulting in less "horn" coloration. This is a nice horn, regardless.

81 sq. in. throat (comparable to 78 sq. in. Klipsch Hetitage horns). Expect the same efficiency, maybe a little more due to less horn folding and reduced horn path length.

DM

post-13458-13819271727562_thumb.jpg

The corner version, which I think it says the "Dean"? "Duet"? "Dream"? Whatever...

{edit} It might say "Dean", can't tell, but it sort of makes sense, being that it's a "University" design. This is a "low-boy" style, wider than it is tall. Sort of a strange design choice to modern eyes, I guess the low-boy approach was in fashion at the time.

The low-boy designs are all somewhat dated now, it is preferred that speakers be more vertically proportioned these days. However, a top cabinet could be just the ticket!

Also note the Cobra-flex mid horn in the drawing.

DM

post-13458-13819271729336_thumb.jpg

Q-man has said that he thought that this particular horn was the most impressive horn that he's ever heard. I think that its probably due to its short path length and the reduced number of folds.

It's already pretty large IME so I would be hesitant to attempt to lower the Fc as it would be even larger then. If used with a subwoofer, the need to go lower is somewhat mitigated.

The question remains, do they justify there size as is? I would presume the response is rather like a big LS or a Belle (each with a 70 Hz Fc) but goes lower (50 Hz Fc) at the same time, which would fall off somewhere around 40 Hz. That could do it, I would think! All the punch the LS is reknown for, goes quite a bit lower, and doesn't bite your head off while its doing it.

While the K33E could be used as a driver (the throat opening is approx. the same 78 sq. in), I would look at other 8 Ohm drivers as candidates.

Technically, all of the Khorn drivers, xovers would work fine with it.

Changing some dimensions, it could theoretically be ported lower to "fill in" the low end below the Fc of the horn, rather than trying to lower the actual Fc of the horn itself...

Another interesting benefit is that these are both free-standing designs, like the Jubilee, LS/Belle!

DM

Qman... which one was it you built, Classic or Corner Classic? It's an interesting design if it can reach 40 to 50Hz range...

Q-man, no pic! ...or are you just a tease?!

The "insert image" button is somewhat confusing... as it doesn't actually upload the image to the Klipsch server, but only creates a link to the image on your hard drive... [:S] Using the "file attachment" box at the bottom of the post is the way to go...

Dman: thanks for those images / plans ...

Rob

Formica,

I love horn loaded bass, that's the reason I built a few horn loaded bass cabinets to compare with my Klipschorns and LaScalas. I wanted as much bass as I could get coming from a bass horn instead of a subwoofer in my home theater. That is why I went with my modified Klipschorns instead of the Classic. Lately, I have been re-thinking that.

I havn't been on the Forum much this last year or so, because I got kind of burned out on speakers. I put all my energy into trying different amps and AV/processors. I'm still sticking with McIntosh amps and I settled on a Parasound Halo C1 for the prosessor. The last couple of months I have been experimenting with different crossover setting for the subwoofer and speakers. I'm leaning towards higher crossover frequencies. Some of this is do to standing waves and sound cancellation. I'm liking what I hear with the subwoffer doing more of the work.

This has make me think about the Classic again. I could return my Klipschorns back to stock and sell them. I may be able to use the Altec, and JBL tops that I have on the Klipschorns on the Classic. If not those horns are like gold, and will sell easy. Or maybe someone on the Forum will want these tops. I'll worry about that, if it comes down to that. It's time to get back into speakers and I want to play with the Classic again.

It's a never ending quest. I felt that I made the Klipschorns be all that they could be and I didn't feel the need to do try anything elce. Now I'm beginning to think about speakers again.

I sure do like having a Klipschorn as a center channel. I run it full range and also send bass below 45 Hz. from that channel to the sub.

The bass horns do appear to have a simpler folding, probably providing

you with a better performance close to it's x-over point, while trading

off some bass extension. I don't know how much time you'd like to

put into experimenting, but the Jubilee bass horn would seem like a

good competitor to the University Classic (I'm speaking hypothetically,

as I haven't heard either) with perhaps a little better bass

extension. The plans are available on the forum here, and the

woofers dennis (djk) recommends are relatively inexpensive.

Afterall PWK was after the same thing when he designed it...

It's a never ending quest. I felt that I made the

Klipschorns be all that they could be and I didn't feel the need to do

try anything elce. Now I'm beginning to think about speakers

again.

The pursuit is half the fun... [:)]

Rob

PS: I'm pretty sure your MF / HF horn combo would be reusable with a modified x-over.