Question on Scott 299B and Variac purchase

Dave in ABQ

Hello everyone,

I found my first tube amp, and one that I've heard will be a great match for my Klipsch Forte Speakers; a great looking Scott 299B. I've read some about not just pluging in and using old tube amps. I eventually would like to save up and get her tuned up and upgrated by Craig or one of the other great techs on our boards. Until then, I'd like to hook her up to a pair of cheap speakers to see if she works well. I would like to buy and learn to use a Variac so that I can warm the tubes up gradually. Could anyone please give me some advice on purchasing a used unit. Looking for a basic (cheap) unit for old tube amps that is realitively easy to use and decent qualtiy. Here's one on eBay I've thought about...http://cgi.ebay.com/Variac-Var-AC-Output-Transformer-5_W0QQitemZ7548224440QQcategoryZ1504QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any advice will be apreacated. Pictures of my new Scott and the OMYGOD speakers that came with it in a day or less. Lets just say I'm as exited as a 12 year boy in a girls shower room.

You aren't "warming up the tubes", you are reforming the electrolytic capacitors - to avoid a direct short on power up and letting the smoke out of the transformers. There are lots of web pages on restoring vintage tube gear, unfortunately they are bookmarked on my home computer, not at work. [:$]

You can change many of the electrolytics yourself - you don't need a guru for that. You also should really be using an AC ammeter to check for sudden spikes or a fast increase in current so you can shut 'er down before it self destructs. I reformed the caps in my old Fisher. It was cool being able to "watch" the process on the ammeter. Go slow, be patient, don't get in a hurry.

Thanks for the info! I'm pretty much ignorent on tube related gear. William, thats some good info on your posting. Thank you! Craig, your post on AK is much appreciated. I am deffinenly not going to just plug the Scott into my Klipsch and listen away before "restoring" her back new near new. Your post on AK is just what I was hoping for and more. Thank you again.

Hopefully tomorow, I'll be able to post some pictures of my 299B, and the once in a lifetime treasure that came with my little Scott.