Looking for some advice on my system

mattstl

Here is another option I just found on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5815624250&fromMakeTrack=true

ROTEL RSP-1098 SURROUND SOUND PROCESSOR

7.1 Surround Preamp/Processor with TFT display

RSP1098-tt.gif
click for more detail

Dolby Digital, Dolby EX, Dolby Pro-logic II, dts, dtsES, dts ES Discrete, dts Neo 6, DTS 24/96, HDCD

8 inputs (cd, tape, tuner, video 1 - 5) plus 7.1 channel input

8 assignable digital inputs

4 HD component video monitor inputs, video transcoding

Multiroom/multisource

Multi-room/multi-source with S-Video and composite

RS232 interface, 4 assignable 12 volt triggers

* available June 2003

Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back. I would get a 1095 rotel amp. It is 5 channels, If you want 7 I would use the amp built in your receiver for the back channels. Or I would buy a 1085 which is the 100 watt 5 channel, I think thats the number, and then I would buy a 1085 used off ebay or audiogon. Use the 1085 for the mains and you have 7 channels. If people don't want to buy rotel because they won't discount them then they can miss out. They are some of the best sounding amps for the money.

As for a pre/amp I have to do some more research of one that has HDMI. That will be a little harder I think, I know you can get a b&k ref 50 or 30 used and they are a great pre/pro.

May I ask what you are feeding the tv that needs to be hdmi? You might have to wait intill summer for the new models to come out for a pre/pro. You could get the amps now and injoy the great sound now and upgrade later for the pre.

Still waiting to hear more on the amps that would be needed with this?

Any thoughts on this, found it on ebay:

Integra 10.5 THX Ultra 2 Audio Video Receiver. This receiver is not a toy it weighs in at a whopping 72.8 lbs, shipping should be around 80 lbs. It is rated at 150 watts per channel at an 8 ohm load, 200 watts into a 6 ohm load and if you purchase the Snell speakers that I have up for sale you will get 340 watts in stereo. The receiver has 2 HDMI inputs, 1 component BNC (true 75 ohm, the best for DVD), 3 RCA component, 6 digital coax inputs and 2 outputs, 6 optical inputs and 2 outputs, 2 firewire in/out for SACD, Net Tune Ethernet connection, Multiroom, and of course lots of S and composite connections, RS232, AM/FM, 12 volt triggers and a lot more, this receiver is loaded.

To tell you the truth I do not know alot about the pre/pros out right now. It has been a long time since I looked into them. I know rotel makes good amps but I am not sure about the pre's.

Thanks, I have been out of it for a while now and don't know what to do except to start learning it all over again......the Integra I mentioned looks nice, a lot of the higher end receivers are using the cards and software that can be upgraded as the technology changes.

So many things to consider.

My R1 sounds great, I wonder if I will even notice much of a change if I replace it with stand alone amps and a surround processor?

I think u should go and listen to different products to see what u like. I and other people hear can give u a bunch of ideas and options, but i may like one brand like rotel and u may not, even though i would be highly surprised if u do not like rotel. I wouldn't worry about the hdmi, just get the best sound possible. Plug the hdmi directly to ur tv and if u need multiple hdmi inputs use some hdmi selector if they make such as thing. Because to get hdmi inputs and outputs in a receiver u have to spend a lot of money. No use buying it mainly for that purpose when the sound probably won't sound any better than what u have now. I have a rotel RCD-1072 and the sound is amazing, can't wait to put it with separates. I wish i would have a rotel receiver, but made the mistake before really knowing about rotel, and bought NAD. Mainly regret the NAD purchase not because of the sound but because of the problems i have had that u might have ran across in my post whining noise with NAD's.If u have any more questions hopefully i can help and other people on this forum. Hope this helps a little more. Right now though for multichannel, i recommend rotel. There are other brands like arcam that compare well with rotel. They're around the same ball park, but once again one may like one brand over the other. U really have to listen to different setups i guess. It's really up to u, but i personally think it's a waste to buy that integra, just to get more features. Who knows if the sound is much better than what u have now. Try it with a liberal return to see for yourself if u want to try it. What's the price of that integra? Rotel separates may sound better than what u have now, but then again u have to personally experience it to know.

Thanks, I agree, but it's always good to have a direction to start in and have appreciated all the feedback.

I found a Rotel 1098 on Ebay, but no one replied to me about it? There are many other Rotel items on Ebay, but to be honest I'm not sure which models I should be looking at?

I think u should go and listen to different products to see what u like. I and other people hear can give u a bunch of ideas and options, but i may like one brand like rotel and u may not, even though i would be highly surprised if u do not like rotel. I wouldn't worry about the hdmi, just get the best sound possible. Plug the hdmi directly to ur tv and if u need multiple hdmi inputs use some hdmi selector if they make such as thing. Because to get hdmi inputs and outputs in a receiver u have to spend a lot of money. No use buying it mainly for that purpose when the sound probably won't sound any better than what u have now. I have a rotel RCD-1072 and the sound is amazing, can't wait to put it with separates. I wish i would have a rotel receiver, but made the mistake before really knowing about rotel, and bought NAD. Mainly regret the NAD purchase not because of the sound but because of the problems i have had that u might have ran across in my post whining noise with NAD's.If u have any more questions hopefully i can help and other people on this forum. Hope this helps a little more. Right now though for multichannel, i recommend rotel. There are other brands like arcam that compare well with rotel. They're around the same ball park, but once again one may like one brand over the other. U really have to listen to different setups i guess. It's really up to u, but i personally think it's a waste to buy that integra, just to get more features. Who knows if the sound is much better than what u have now. Try it with a liberal return to see for yourself if u want to try it. What's the price of that integra? Rotel separates may sound better than what u have now, but then again u have to personally experience it to know.

How about something like this for 3k: I could use my existing R1 for the surround effects.

McIntosh MC-206 Six-Channel Power Amplifier

Oh yeah, i agree with the direction, but we gave u a few options, so do u have a rotel dealer nearby that may let u audition to hear what they are like? I'm not sure about all the different model numbers either, but go to rotel's website. U should be able to find out a lot of info there. I personally don't buy from ebay, just because of some things that my dad purchase that weren't exactly like how the stuff should have been. I recommend if buying used to ask a local hifi dealer that may get stuff like this in. Hopefully they are as nice as my dealer to help u. Even for now u can get some rotel multichannel amps. Check out their website though, and even email rotel for further assistance. They often get back to me in a day. Keep me informed if u need any more help.

I have no experience with Mcintosh. It looks like a fine piece, but that is meaningless as far as audio production. I have heard no negative comment about Mcintosh though, although i am sure there are. What is ur main reason for this upgrade. I really hope someone with more experience with multichannel amps can help and some have so far in this post, but i really do not understand it works fully. A good dealer like i earlier mentioned could really help u. I would recommend my dealer, but u live in missouri, a little ways from central, PA. Here is one dealer i found. Go to Rotel's website and put ur are code under dealer search and ur on ur way hopefully. I really hope this is helping.

Name:

BEST SOUND CO.

Address:

227 N. LINDBERGH BLVD.
ST. LOUIS , MO
USA

Phone:

314 997-7644

Web Site:

www.bestsoundstlouis.com

Hey Matt, alot of people on this forum prefer separates over receivers. Just to name some brands, rotel, b&k, parasound, sunfire, and etc. Some people say that rotel gives you the best bang for your buck. First you have to visit some dealers and take a listen to each equipment and compare what you like. Also try to do some research and search the klipsch forum on amp threads. You can also type in the differnet companies in the search and see what pops up. If you go with rotel, I would recommend the rmb 1095 or rmb 1075, which both are 5 channel, the the 1095 has 200 wpc compared to 125wpc for the 1075 and the Rsp 1068. I think the only major difference between the 1098 and the 1068 is the the screen, but not 100% sure. You can always add a second 2 channel amp. I don't know if the 1095 or 1068 has HDMI. Narrow it down to a couple of companies and go out and listen. People here on the forums can recommend different companies, but you have to like what your buying because you have to live with it. Hey in the end, you might go with a receiver, but try to demo first. Take a look at this thread for rotel gear.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/473466/ShowPost.aspx

It might help.

Ray