Not sure what to do here.

iXtreme

I have a bi-level house which means that half the basement is in the dirt, the other half is above ground level. The walls are concrete, 6" thick or something I believe. I want to know what I can do to deaden the noise heard outside the house but not inside if you know what I mean. I am thinking about using acoustic tiles on the basement ceiling, the floors have berber carpeting. Should I also put fiberglas insulation between the floor joists or is the tile going to be enough. Anyone have any ideas for sound deadining, both cheap and/or expensive as price is not really an issue on this. Thank you guys once again, you all have been very helpful in making my HT a big success with family and friends, and the wife tooSmile.gif She loves this BB and comes here more often than I do (almost)

------------------

Why do you like playing around with my little scope of reality?

I can feel it all start slipping away.....

See but I don't get it, don't you think maybe we can put it on credit?

I get stupified. It's all the same...

Sound transmission through walls is often possible because there are holes in the walls, even small ones. It is not a matter of lining the walls with absorbing material. That may cut down on reflected sound, but not transmission though the chinks.

Generally, the mass of wall structures is sufficient to prevent transmission at all but the lowest frequencies. You hear this when the people upstairs in apartments have the system cranked. You only hear the bass.

Sealing the openings is why in efforts to "sound proof" studios the doors are weather stripped. In that situation, preventing sound from getting in. You're in a situation of keeping sound from getting out.

Windows are another matter. They don't have much mass. This can be remedied by multiple panes. So storm windows can help.

If you want to experiment, you may want to walk around the outside of your house with a sound meter to see where the sound is getting out.

Gil

I am going to do just that. I am gonna go get an analog r.s. db meter and have a peep. If someone is above me in the kitchen talking I can hear them perfectly thru the floor so I hope tiles on the roof will stop the oppisite effect from happening as the actual theater is directly below the master bedroom Smile.gif Very unhappy wife... wimp Smile.gif

------------------

Why do you like playing around with my little scope of reality?

I can feel it all start slipping away.....

See but I don't get it, don't you think maybe we can put it on credit?

I get stupified. It's all the same...