Picked up a pair of Maggies to try. The Belles are staying put.

TommyK

"Unless they are classic Klipsch corner Khorns, even horns should end up in the middle of the room like other loudspeakers away from wall reflections, in order to maximize 3D sonic holograph"

This is one of the things I like about my LaScalas, I have them out from the wall (about 3 feet) and run them with a Velodyne ULD-15 for the deep bass. The imaging and depth of sound stage is quite pleasing at least to my ear....

I have K Horns in my main system and Maggies in a small extra bedroom. They do well with a HK630 receiver and a sub (but in a small room - 12' x 12'). For the money, they are awesome. I have also heard the really big Magnaplanars driven with huge tube amps. They were really awesome sounding. Female vocals were so clear and lifelike it was increadible.

Keep an open mind. Horns and planar speakers are both somewhat radical designs, both can sound really harsh if driven by the wrong equipment, and both are very detailed and clean when driven by the right equipment.

By the way, my Maggies sound better than my Belles, but my Belles need a crossover rebuild. If I take my ALK's out of my K Horns and put them into my Belles I imagine that will change.

Chris