Forte, Heresy, or RB-75's

marcb515

Need to replace my old Cerwin Vega D5's down the road (just ordered a re-edge kit from Orange Co. Speakers).

I like the old sound, but my wife prefers I get rid of the big old speakers. However, I may be able (hopefully) to convince her the sound is better in the old stuff.

I've read some posts on the Heresy and Forte series, and would like to know the difference between these two greats?

Also, if I have to go with a smaller speaker, I'm looking at the RB-75's, and would like to know how they stack up to the Heresy & Forte.

One of my concerns with the older speakers is parts availability; Are parts readily available?

Thak you,

I currently own all three speakers you have listed. I can say without reservation that the Forte' is the best overall speaker of the bunch. The Heresy's I own have updated crossovers and they are Heresy I's from 1983. They do most everything well except bass below around 60 cycles. If you are using a good musical subwoofer that would help the overall sound. I have had difficulty dialing in my sub with them however. Can't really blame the sub or the speakers as I have a tough room. That is also true for the RB-75's which I use in my bedroom system now. Great for a smaller room but with the low end limitations of the Heresy. I give a slight edge to the Heresy over the RB-75 but that's probably more for nostalgic reasons than actual better sound. The Forte' is in a whole different league! No sub needed here and with an upgrade to the crossovers, they put most other speakers in the cheap seats! I have found them to be very placement friendly, more so than the Heresy's and RB-75's. You also have the issue of proper stands and/or risers for both. I do recommend using spikes or cones with the Forte's.

I forgot to address the parts issue. Parts are usually easy to find for most older Klipsch speakers like the Heresy I's and the Forte's. Bob Crites, BEC on this site, is a good resource for parts. As far as the RB-75's go, being a newer model, I would contact Klipsch directly.