Exponential vs Tractrix and more ?!

vacs2000

Hi

Webbing around late evening through horn loaded pages I came with the following question :

What might be the benefit/advantage/disadvantage/incompatibility when

a speaker uses a exponential mid-horn instead of the tractrix one (late Klipsch model amongst others).

We are thinking experimenting with a Cornwall speaker we've got and I read the Tom's mail about his tractrix mod on a Cornwall.

I was wondering about the sonic differences though.

Also if one could install the bigger tractrix maybe it would be a ?! idea to mount the tweeter horn vertically close to the mid with left/right symmetry ?!?!

well it was quite late in the night so maybe I am dreaming too much..

cheers

george

George--You can see the tractrix Cornwall mod on my website, just click the little house icon. I think the mod gave the CWs a smoother more natural sound. How much of this was due to the "tractrixness" of the new horn and how much was due to the new horn's different dispersion pattern and larger entrance I don't know. The supporters of tractrix horns claim a smoother sound for them and the tractrix horns I've heard sound good but then so do many of the non-tractrix horns I've heard and used. This week I'll be receiving a pair of Bruce Edgar's "saladbowl" round tractrix horns to use with my JBL and Altec compression drivers, the results should be interesting. It might be beneficial to mount the tweeter vertically, it was intended to be used that way, but leaving it horizontal makes the cabinet work of the mod much easier. Actually vertical mounting might make the tweeter dispersion too wide compared to the mids and be a bad thing, just thinking.

TBrennan, what do you think about this? I found it in another forum:

"In addition to the above advice, try putting the Heresy's on their side with tweeters toward the middle. I have been running mine in this manner ever since I was told about it. It seems the mid and tweeter horns are diffraction type that have wider frequency response perpendicular to their mounted axis.

If you look at the original Cornwall's, the mid and tweeter horns were mounted verticle. This created both a dedicated left and right speaker. The design was well conceived, "but", keeping "stereo pairs" at Klipsch dealerships was frought with mistakes and difficulty. Klipsch later changed the Cornwall to have horizontally mounted horns. This solved their inventory problems at the cost of reduced imaging and soundstage.

The Heresy was introduced later using the same drivers/horns combination.

Since Heresy's are easily rotated to a horizontal position, you can try the horns mounted verticle as in the original Cornwalls. Use stands if you have them.

Mine have been horizontal since I tried this nearly a year ago.

The improvement was not subtle.

Paul "

quote:

Originally posted by TBrennan:

George--You can see the tractrix Cornwall mod on my website, just click the little house icon. I think the mod gave the CWs a smoother more natural sound. How much of this was due to the "tractrixness" of the new horn and how much was due to the new horn's different dispersion pattern and larger entrance I don't know. The supporters of tractrix horns claim a smoother sound for them and the tractrix horns I've heard sound good but then so do many of the non-tractrix horns I've heard and used. This week I'll be receiving a pair of Bruce Edgar's "saladbowl" round tractrix horns to use with my JBL and Altec compression drivers, the results should be interesting. It might be beneficial to mount the tweeter vertically, it was intended to be used that way, but leaving it horizontal makes the cabinet work of the mod much easier. Actually vertical mounting might make the tweeter dispersion too wide compared to the mids and be a bad thing, just thinking.

huh... I must say this thing about T35 being less directive when mounted vertically leaves me quite breathless...I think nobody will ever be able to say wether or not this tweeter was designed for vertical mounting...OR maybe it is only if rear-monted, the slot in the front baffle acting just like an acoustic slot??? I don't know.

I should try before speaking...lol

Frans

Shock---Oh yeah, the T-35 was most certainly intended for use with the horn's long axis vertical, it was used like that in the EV speakers that used it and the old EV spec sheets I have on the T-35 state that it was meant for vertical use. It seems that for some reason PWK didn't want the horn's maximum horizontal dispersion, perhaps to match the narrow dispersion of his exponential mid horns or maybe just to make the KHorn cabinet a little shorter, I'm just guessing. Some say the dispersion varies little either way the T-35 is mounted anyway, I dunno.