...to TheEAR...and any others...what about the M & K mx-70B???

kramskoi

hello...new here...i may be able to purchase a used mx-70B but i don't know how old it is or it's power rating. The specs give 27Hz +-3dB and i'm wondering how much presence there is below that point, given it's dual-8 design. Have you ever heard one fire? My living room is irregular shaped and about 3,000 cu ft with pretty good acoustics. I currently have the promedia 2.1THX set-up and the bass level is pretty consistent throughout the listening area. I'm hoping to go deeper and more accurate than the current config. I thought, considering the promedia sub is a single 6.5 and rated only 50w rms, that this would hit a little harder and cleaner. I don't really need to shake the walls but i do want a little slam. I'm not concerned with max spl's just low-to mid level accuracy, good transient response and a fatter bottom end. The 2.1 THX hits admirably but it's limited power and port noise is extremely annoying. Any thoughts?.Thanks

First the -3dB figure at 27Hz means little.I am sick of the BS +-3dB figures when the sub was measured at 90dB output. lets see the linearity at max output [:$]

The little M&K has pathetic output below 30Hz,lets not even talk about serious output below...27Hz! LOL

How much they want for this used M&K?

This is a good micro sub to match micro sized sats like the ProAc Response One,Totem Mite and the smallest Klipsch sats.

And FYI the MX70 beats a Loudmedia with total ease,not to tough to best a low cost PC speaker set with one 6.5" woofer in a tiny box.

thanks Ear...i guess you're the one to talk to on this board...keep the technicals coming...the asking price is in the 260-$300.00 range...Let me ask you this...what level of output (in dB) at 25 Hz would be required to cause a subtle rattling? I live in an apartment with a 24x16 ft. living room; heavily furnished. I was listening to a track from the Titanic soundtrack (hard a' starboard i think) and near the end of that track there is a low-level pulsing like the catepillar system on 'Hunt for Red October'. This pulsing was pretty audible even at a moderate listening level with the 6.5sub (it sounds like covering your ears and hearing your heartbeat). Now given the roll-off of sealed vs. ported, the doubling of a larger driver and roughly 2-3x the power, do you think it's feasible to expect a 3-6dB rise in output for the level of this pulsing. I'm not sure what frequency it is but i'd be surprised if it is not near 30Hz. Excusing my ignorance, is any freeware available to test this pulse. Or perhaps you can recommend some reference music to test with. I would greatly appreciate it. If i can get that pulse twice as loud as it is now (at below reference level), i would be satisfied...for a while at least. And maybe i'll add another 70B or 700. I know that some dual-12's are as musical but i have to bring myself to believe it. It's curious that MK does'nt offer a dual-10. A dual-12 set-up would probably bring local law enforcement over for doughnuts. The other subs that i'm looking at are the Klipsch RW-8 and the Klipsch IFI ipod system with its newly designed 8inch sub (27Hz??). Anyway, thanks for the input.