set me up

scubasteve

I apologize for knowing absolutly nothing about audio but I am interested in purchasing my first surround sound system. I was just hoping for some basic advice for a decent set up. I've been doing some research and slowly but surely am understanding parts here and there but am a long way's away from being an expert. So here's what i'm thinking as for as a receiver: the Onkyo TX-SR603X, with some klipsch speakers. I've always been a fan of klipsch and how they sound so I defenitely want to stick with them. I am able to spend around 1400 dollars NOT no including receiver so just on speakers (and sub). The Onkyo receiver that I'm looking at is pretty much the max I can spend on that. With the speakers I would like to have a 12 inch sub such as the ksw-12 or something considerable. Now here's the catch, being a college student that I am I would rather not blow all that money at once so I want to do the 48 month financing through Best Buy, Circuit City or, Ultimate Electronics AKA Soundtrak. I know I'm paying a little more but it would be worth it in the long run. So that limits my possiblities a little bit I would assume. Other then that I just need help finding the right receiver and that right Klipsch 5.1 speakers so any help and/or advice would be great!

If you were able to do it all at once, how about:

RB-25 mains $300

RC-25 center $200

RS-25 rears $300

Sub-12 $450 (light-years ahead of the KSW-12 sub IMO...)

These prices are attainable at a legit dealer (Best Buy only for the sub...), and would give you a pretty nice setup for $1400 by the time you get stands for the mains, and rears if needed.

Steve,

Here is what you need. All at Best Buy.........a little more than you'd planned, by since your financing it..........(might as well :>).........

F3, C3, S3, AND SUB 12...........2,159.00.

Excellent choice for your Receiver!...........

Thanks for letting me know about the Bad Link!

If you can stretch the budget a bit, you can find RF-25's for $500 instead of the RB-25's for $300. The sound may be a bit more full in the upper bass and midrange with them. But with the crossover set to 80hz it should not be a huge deal. I have a second system using RB-25's/RC-25/RB-15's/BIC H-100 sub and am pretty pleased overall with it. IMO it is hard to beat for the money spent. Other system is RF-25's/RC-25/RS-35's/Sub-12. You just need to find a great local dealer and stick with them to get decent pricing. They are out there!

ps Bill...you cannot link to a shopping cart checkout list![;)]

Alright, update time. Just finished ordering my receiver from onecall. I decided to go with the Onkyo TXNR801 for a pretty decent price. I believe total with shipping was 588 so not bad at all. Amtnbikr: I think I'm going to do what you said and upgrade to the RF-25's but there's so much freaken stuff to learn I have a long way to go. I'm finding out how much of a price difference there is between a store or an internet site and it's pretty considerable. We'll see, I'm headed out to Ultimate Electronics just to see how much if would cost for the RF-25/RC-25/RS-35's/sub-12. If they can't give me a decent price maybe I'll just blow my money now rather then financing it. Also, is this going to be hard for somebody with not a whole lot of knowledge to set up? You're talking about crossover and 8 ohz? I have no idea what that is. I'm getting a little worried here.

Update #2, Ok guys, let me know if this is a good deal or not. I just bought my stuff. I did the RF-35/RC-35/and the RS-35's for $1920 from Ultimate Electronics. I got him to throw in 100 dollar speaker stands for free and 50 feet of the higher end monster cable for free. He also gave me ten percent off the all my speakers. The only thing that I did not get was my sub, the guy there told me the ksw-12 is discontinued and was replaced by the sw-12 which, at the store was 640 dollars. Did I get a good deal or just an average deal? Man I went way over my budget. Let me know what you guys think.

Update #3 Just got done watching Top Gun on them and I'm pretty darn impressed. I can't get my center speaker working quite yet but I have a feeling it has something to do with this cheap Yamaha receiver I have until I get my new Onkyo. Now all I need help with a sub. I really can't get out of the 350 dollar range on a sub or I'll have no money to eat (although it may be worth it I still can't do it). Should I just go with the KSW-12, its from ebay but it's from a verified store so the 5 year manufacturer warranty isn't voided and its brand new for 349. If anybody has any suggestions on a sub that would sound better for around the same price or a website that has good deals on subs, by all means let me know:) Thanks.

Steve,

I commend you for sticking to you bargaining guns! So glad to hear you moved Up to the 35 series on the RF's! Smart move! For now relax, take a deep breath and enjoy your set up!

You can wait ( IMO) till later to get a sub.

On the sub topic. Go to Best Buy and check out the Sub 12 ! Lots of folks here swear by it!

do NOT BUY the sub off of Ebay. Deal with a Brick and Mortar store. (like UE).

http://www.klipsch.com/customerservice/legal/unauthorizeddealers.aspx

Relax, and enjoy your system, and finish your education! Congrats to you!

Update #2, Ok guys, let me know if this is a good deal or not. I just bought my stuff. I did the RF-35/RC-35/and the RS-35's for $1920 from Ultimate Electronics. I got him to throw in 100 dollar speaker stands for free and 50 feet of the higher end monster cable for free. He also gave me ten percent off the all my speakers. The only thing that I did not get was my sub, the guy there told me the ksw-12 is discontinued and was replaced by the sw-12 which, at the store was 640 dollars. Did I get a good deal or just an average deal? Man I went way over my budget. Let me know what you guys think.

Way over budget is standard for the course around here ! That's a killer setup and I agree with BillH that the sub12 is probably the way to go. I hear it really rocks and should be a good matchup to what you have. Stay with your local dealer for purchases, making friends there will get you better warranty service and more discounts down the road. When I walk into my dealer anymore, he goes directly to the catalog to check his cost, then just adds a reasonable profit for the store. We don't even look at retail pricing anymore.

Sit back and enjoy the show. You should be good for at least a year without the upgrade bug biting.

Michael

Go for the Sub-12 and you will NOT be disappointed, trust me! I was maybe nuts for buying one based on only the specs and info without even opening the box, but hey, you have to take a chance sometimes, right? It was everything I had hoped for and more in a budget sub. Did you have any other local dealers? Only reason I ask is that 10% off list is not a superb deal for those speakers, at least IMO. You can quite often get 30-40% off at a legit dealer. I did. If they have a return policy, and are not the normal place of choice for your shopping.....then I would hunt around for a better deal. Not trying to come down on anyone or be an arse, but we all want to get the best deal possible while supporting our local dealers! Bottom line is this: you have a nice system there now, and ENJOY it!!!

Glad to see you bought the Onkyo. Let me know how you like it. I have a 7-year-old HK AVR85 and I am tempted by that Onkyo myself. That is the smart play but I am tempted by the possibility of spending 4 times that on separates.

10% off the speakers PLUS the stands PLUS the Monster wire is not a bad deal but I agree that you might be able to do better. Not a big deal though.

Glad you're enjoying your system. Here's one suggestion though. Go to Radio Shack and drop $35 on an SPL meter so you can dial in your surround system to your room. It will help you adjust the system for room issues such as speaker placement. Also, read up on some of the online articles on setting up a surround sound system. It is amazing how big an impact your room can have on your sound.

Steve,

I have the same system as you except I have a Denon 3805. I have the RW-12 and love it, it has more bass that I will ever use. I have listened to the sub 12 at BB and it is a nice unit. If you can get 20 percent off (which you should be able to now that you have purchased from UE) you can get an RW-12 for $520.00. I think the Sub 12 is around $500.00 at BB so for $20.00 you can stay all reference.

And I agree with the other guys here, stick with a real dealer and stay away from the e-bay stuff.

Good luck and enjoy

I like my setup and all but on the back of my mind I can't tell if I got a good deal or not. I'm at the website, and the total there not including tax for everything I bought is 2,160. Without tax on my sale was 1822.20 so a difference of 337.8 dollars. Is that very good? I just don't know. Do speakers have a big mark up value? I know receivers do considering the Onkyo that I bought was 1,000 dollars at Circuit City and I bought it for 470 from onecall. I need emotional support so I can make myself feel like I did the best I could, come on now, help me out.

I apologize for knowing absolutly nothing about audio but I am interested in purchasing my first surround sound system. I've always been a fan of klipsch and how they sound so I defenitely want to stick with them.

Just out of curiousity, how do you know about Klipsch speakers and what made you decide to go with them?

You would be surprised how many people with more audio knowledge then you have never heard of them.

As you get more comfortable with your hardware and get your receiver, you can start tweaking your system. There is a lot of good information on speaker placement, crossover settings, dB level settings, bass traps and sound attenuation, etc. on this site and others. I think you will enjoy the learning experience and your system will only get better over time.

Congratulations on your new system and enjoy!

Thanks man, I am enjoying it for sure. I decided to go with Klipsch because of reviews I've read about them and the overall sound. Although I don't know a whole lot about this technology itself I've always found myself impressed with Klipsch. The design always adds to the impressiveness. It's something that I've wanted to do for a long time and have saved up for quite a long time so I decided it was time and I went with Klipsch.

Since I'm paranoid about not getting the greatest deal here's my plan. Although I have to fall onto my dad to help me out, he has been a salemen for quite a long time and seems to mysteriously get prices of electronics outrageously low. I'm going to have him go in and try and buy all the same items as I did except using his bargaining skills. He then can get an invoice printed so he has that price written on paper and I can price match his invoice (if it's any lower). This is going to happen Saturday or Sunday so I'll update then. I just received by receiver about 4 hours ago and finished this stupid college essay so its time to hook it up! I'm out.