Hey Dial-Up Folks...

Champagne taste beer budget

As we just got our computer at home on line, I can see the need for something to let you know when you have a phone call coming in. I don't have call waiting, caller id, or anything else, just a single phone line. I also don't need to know who's calling, what number they're calling from, or anything else other than that I have a call coming in and should disconnect my modem..

Can anyone recommend a freeware program that will do what I desire? I did a quick search, not very through, and only came up with non freebie stuff that offers things I don't need. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The easiest thing to do is by a V92 modem. The are relatively cheap, (less than 20 bucks,) and most come with call waiting software. Your ISP must support Internet Call waiting for the software to work. (Check the box on the new modem, it will tell you on the box if it has internet call waiting software...

I think you may need caller id from your local phone company for your v92 modem to work that way, and your isp must support v92. I have the same deal. I am to cheap to spend the extra money for the caller id. Heck with that if they can't give me dsl internet. They are getting as little as possible from me, and if they provided dsl I wouldn't need the caller id in the first place.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm with you, wheelman, I'm not going to spend anything extra with them if I don't need to. Hopefully we'll be getting dsl available soon, but not holding my breath out here in the sticks. They don't even have cable tv where we live, so anything will have to come in off a dish. I still prefer it to living in town though. Sacrifies must be made. They pale in comparison to the benefits.