Prog Blog

theryugobuddy

Shucks TRon--

I think most of our wives acted like they liked our music before we were married! That's OK --she has her MSNBC and I got my prog-blues-rock-jazz-classical-etc to keep us happy--

Better than having to act like I like Lifetime--

My first foray into prog was YES and Kansas--saw them both a couple times-- and I never got into Genesis until I stole "Seconds Out" from a department store.

It was one of my favorite albums forever but I didn't get into Gabriel Genesis until the last five years-- I can remember some people back then complaining about all the synthesizers on their albums, so I stayed away--

Of course, now I fully appreciate the artful use of Mellotron and synths by them. But, now I think I've heard all versions of Supper's Ready too many times. I love the tune, but I'm always looking for something like it without a pretty singer--Marillion's singer urks me, and many other's too.

So many of the prog now filters down from Genesis and Yes--it sounds good but not quite original enough.

But, I still like it--

It would be great if some great new prog band came out that really had something original to say

You agree?

Somewhat. I agree its filtered down from the likes of Genesis, yes, King Crimson, ELP. But I'm okay with that...sort of. I've heard some of the so called new prog, like the stuff nicholi listens to, (no offense nicholi) and if I have to choose, and I do, I choose the imitators. Don't get me wrong, theres some good stuff out there.. Kapia, The Tangent, IQ, Pendragon, Arena, PT, Neal Morse (Got me into prog) ect.

I would LOVE to have a new group come along and shock me...I won't hold my breath. However, some of the old stuff is new to me. I wasn't always a prog freak. I just recently discovered, Camel, Nektar, Happy The Man.

You didn't answer my questions above, do you find the groups mentioned in my earlier post PROG?

Just thinking, again.

Ron

Oh yeah--

Deep Purple had some prog songs, and they stretched out alot in concert--but they were a rock and roll band--they were prog on Made in Japan, but not on Machine Head--

Back then, all artists did some kind of prog. Cat Stevens did Foreigner Suite, Elton John did Love Lies Bleeding, and even Springsteen sounded prog on Rosie's Getting Out tonight-- I think if you had a jam that had structure and alot of time changes to it you could consider it prog--

But, Genesis, Yes, ELP, Nektar seemed devoted to doing almost all of their stuff prog--classical structure movements instead of songs--

I never got into Iron Maiden--pretty singer--but they would be metal with some prog leanings--

It sounds like you've gotten into alot of prog that I haven't listened to--I've heard of alot of the bands you've mentioned, but I haven't HEARD them--I'm gonna work on it.

I got my blues, too--

Oh yeah--

Deep Purple had some prog songs, and they stretched out alot in concert--but they were a rock and roll band--they were prog on Made in Japan, but not on Machine Head--

Back then, all artists did some kind of prog. Cat Stevens did Foreigner Suite, Elton John did Love Lies Bleeding, and even Springsteen sounded prog on Rosie's Getting Out tonight-- I think if you had a jam that had structure and alot of time changes to it you could consider it prog--

But, Genesis, Yes, ELP, Nektar seemed devoted to doing almost all of their stuff prog--classical structure movements instead of songs--

I never got into Iron Maiden--pretty singer--but they would be metal with some prog leanings--

It sounds like you've gotten into alot of prog that I haven't listened to--I've heard of alot of the bands you've mentioned, but I haven't HEARD them--I'm gonna work on it.

I got my blues, too--

Hey, I'm a huge blues guy also, love howling wolf, muddy waters, elmore james ect. old blues. Although I like peter greens fleetwood mac, robin trower (my fav) too. woops just hi-jacked the prog blog and turned it into the blues blog[:o]

try some of these proggers:

Rhapsody

Andromeda

RPWL

Rocket Scientists

Kamelot