Prog Blog

theryugobuddy

I have found alot of new progressive rock that I like recently, a great deal of which from this Forum. Porcupine Tree, Opeth, IQ, and the Flower Kings, which all have their own style yet seem inspired by the old 70's versions of prog like ELP, Yes, Genesis, and one of my faves, Nektar.

Prog always seems to be mentioned in many individual posts lately, but how about a thread dedicated to it.

What favorite prog rock CDs do you all like, both new and old?

I'll start with Yessongs. Blazing live renditions of all the classic songs that made Yes famous. Perpetual Change and Starship Trooper pack a whallop, and Wakeman's excerpts lead right into Roundabout. The whle album is a highlight. So much of classic prog starts here.

I don't know about any of the later groups that you've mentioned but IMHO, Yes and ELO (P?) {edit: I just realized you were talking about Emerson, Lake, & Palmer--My bad} can be considered progressive rock--But although I like Genesis, after Peter Gabriel left, they became more of a Pop Band.

My Fave would have to be Peter Gabriel era Genesis, the KINGS of prog MANY imitators.

check out Wind and Wuthering, and Trick of the Tail by Genesis AFTER Peter left, AMAZING. I agree they went pop after those last 2.

I agree with Yes.

These spend a lot of time on my CD player

The Watch VERY Genesis like.

Marillion. Also like Genesis

Pendragon.

The Tangent.. Flower Kings members in this group

Neal Morse. Christian Prog.. used to be a member of Spocks Beard, another good one

Fates Warning. Metal Prog ala Dream Theater

Explorers Club.. A metal prog supergroup.

The Moody Blues.. the first 4 LP's can't be beat

I can think of more if need be[:)]

LOVE THIS THREAD!!!

Ron

If you haven't heard "Brain Salad Surgery" by Emerson, Lake and Palmer

...in DVD-A Surround then you are missing a real treat .

E,L,P will always remain the fore-fathers of progressive

symphonically-orchestrated rock music !

My gratitude strongly goes out to E,L P

for lighting the prog torch in my heart !!!!

I'd have to say some of my favorite progressive rock bands are: Muse Sigur Ros Porcupine Tree Dream Theater The Doves The Mars Volta Severed Heads ...And of course, Radiohead, whatever category it is they fall into.

nicholtl,

I know Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Mars Volta.

Can you give me the lowdown on the others, maybe a comparison?

Can't believe I left PT off my list. Forgot about them.

Ron

Sure Ron, I'll do my best to summarize it cleanly and succinctly...

Muse, my favorite band of all time, are a Brit 3-piece that sight influences from Radiohead to Rachmaninoff. The vocals by Matt Bellamy (who was recently #29 in Total Guitar magazine's top 100 guitar players in the world - above The Edge (U2), Pete Townshend and Chuck Berry and his riff in "Plug in Baby" came 13th in in Total Guitar's poll of the top 20 riffs.) switch from melodic crooning to hardrock screams, from high-pitched falcettos to awe-inspiring vibratos.

Their music is frequently called "rock operas" and "epically apocalyptic in scale," as they frequently make use of violins, opera singers, and piano - which Bellamy is quite talented with as well. Their songs often ring in between 5-6 minutes, most often because of the mesmerizing, blistering, and utterly masterful guitar solos in many of their songs. Muse also makes excellent use of distortion pedals as well.

If you are to sample one of Muse's albums, their latest, titled "Absolution" is definitely the one to pick up.

The Doves are also a group hailing from the U.K., whose style is best described as dreamy, hazy, epic, and atmospheric. Critics liken their style to classic Manchester bands as The Stone Roses, New Order, and The Smiths.

Their songs are almost all ballads, but the unique way in which they utilize their effects-pedals and keyboards makes their sound unlike anything you've ever heard before. Their musicianship incredible, and truly addicting, almost like crack cocaine smothered in nicotine and dipped in dark-chocolate.

Doves' latest album, "Some Cities," is in my opinion their strongest work thus far.

Sigur Ros is a group from Iceland, and is said to be the best thing out of there since Bjork. Some say even more so. Their sound is grand, sweeping, with soaring vocals that float atop the majestic tapesty of textured and layered riff and chords, much like a gentle fog floats across a vast and tranquil lake. The lyrics alternate between Icelandic and Hopelandic, a made-up language by the group, although most listeners would never know the difference. Radiohead has cited heavy influence from this band.

Fans will argue which of Sigur Ros' 4 albums best reflect the group's "sound," but I would suggest you either check out their latest, "Takk," or the one titled "( )." Yeah, parenthesis.

Radiohead is one of the 90's most popular, influential, and powerful rock bands. A true supergroup in every sense of the word. Their musical style, however, is easily one of the love-them-or-hate-them types. There is no in-between with Radiohead. With their earlier works more accessible and "commercial" sounding pop-rock melodies (I promise you you've heard "Creep" before), with each album their sound grew, progressed, and became increasingly experimental, until their latest album, "Hail To The Thief," (a highly political stab at President Bush), making a step back to their more accessible roots. If you must try and album, try "Ok Computer," generally regarded among fans as their best work to date.

And forget I ever mentioned "Severed Heads." They're an avant-garde electronica band. Not prog-rock at all.

Sure Ron, I'll do my best to summarize it cleanly and succinctly... Muse, my favorite band of all time, are a Brit 3-piece that sight influences from Radiohead to Rachmaninoff. The vocals by Matt Bellamy (who was recently #29 in Total Guitar magazine's top 100 guitar players in the world - above The Edge (U2), Pete Townshend and Chuck Berry and his riff in "Plug in Baby" came 13th in in Total Guitar's poll of the top 20 riffs.) switch from melodic crooning to hardrock screams, from high-pitched falcettos to awe-inspiring vibratos. Their music is frequently called "rock operas" and "epically apocalyptic in scale," as they frequently make use of violins, opera singers, and piano - which Bellamy is quite talented with as well. Their songs often ring in between 5-6 minutes, most often because of the mesmerizing, blistering, and utterly masterful guitar solos in many of their songs. Muse also makes excellent use of distortion pedals as well. If you are to sample one of Muse's albums, their latest, titled "Absolution" is definitely the one to pick up. The Doves are also a group hailing from the U.K., whose style is best described as dreamy, hazy, epic, and atmospheric. Critics liken their style to classic Manchester bands as The Stone Roses, New Order, and The Smiths. Their songs are almost all ballads, but the unique way in which they utilize their effects-pedals and keyboards makes their sound unlike anything you've ever heard before. Their musicianship incredible, and truly addicting, almost like crack cocaine smothered in nicotine and dipped in dark-chocolate. Doves' latest album, "Some Cities," is in my opinion their strongest work thus far. Sigur Ros is a group from Iceland, and is said to be the best thing out of there since Bjork. Some say even more so. Their sound is grand, sweeping, with soaring vocals that float atop the majestic tapesty of textured and layered riff and chords, much like a gentle fog floats across a vast and tranquil lake. The lyrics alternate between Icelandic and Hopelandic, a made-up language by the group, although most listeners would never know the difference. Radiohead has cited heavy influence from this band. Fans will argue which of Sigur Ros' 4 albums best reflect the group's "sound," but I would suggest you either check out their latest, "Takk," or the one titled "( )." Yeah, parenthesis. Radiohead is one of the 90's most popular, influential, and powerful rock bands. A true supergroup in every sense of the word. Their musical style, however, is easily one of the love-them-or-hate-them types. There is no in-between with Radiohead. With their earlier works more accessible and "commercial" sounding pop-rock melodies (I promise you you've heard "Creep" before), with each album their sound grew, progressed, and became increasingly experimental, until their latest album, "Hail To The Thief," (a highly political stab at President Bush), making a step back to their more accessible roots. If you must try and album, try "Ok Computer," generally regarded among fans as their best work to date. And forget I ever mentioned "Severed Heads." They're an avant-garde electronica band. Not prog-rock at all.

WOW, cleanly and succinctly it was. Thank you. I'll check a couple of them out. Sounds like you gravitate to the far edge of prog?

If you haven't try Conception. I think they may be right up your alley. Thanks again.

Ron

LOL, fair enough. Thanks for trying our my suggestions though!

Hey, I'm just glad we haven't started calling each other names and started a flame war[:D]

See if you can find a sample of ,The Watch-Vacuum...... TRUST ME!!!

Ron

Hey TRon--

I found a sample of Vacuum by the Watch at http://www.progarchives.com/, and it sounds incredibly like Gabriel era Genesis--I want some!

But, can you get it for any less than $22--its not on the website attached to Prog Archives, and its not on allofmp3.com--I've only seen 1 copy on eBay for 18.50 with $4 shipping!

How did you get yours? Might have to bite the bullet--

Another thing---

What is prog? I think I know it when I hear it--

I like Sigur Ros, too. But I don't think its prog--

I like the Cure's instrumental passages on Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me, but its not prog--its alternative--

I think you've got to have guitar leads in the melody, a pompus sounding singer, a lot of extra bass/drums leads, and a soft instrument like a Mellotron or flute/violin in there somewhere. The songs should be structured like a classical movement as opposed to a chorus chorus break solo chorus like 95% of all pop songs.

The Watch is prog--

Nektar is prog--

Is Simple Minds prog?

Just thinking about prog...

Another thing---

What is prog? I think I know it when I hear it--

I like Sigur Ros, too. But I don't think its prog--

I like the Cure's instrumental passages on Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me, but its not prog--its alternative--

I think you've got to have guitar leads in the melody, a pompus sounding singer, a lot of extra bass/drums leads, and a soft instrument like a Mellotron or flute/violin in there somewhere. The songs should be structured like a classical movement as opposed to a chorus chorus break solo chorus like 95% of all pop songs.

The Watch is prog--

Nektar is prog--

Is Simple Minds prog?

Just thinking about prog...

IMHO Simple Minds are NOT prog.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your definition, I would add time signiture changes throughout the song, also, perhaps songs lasting longer than the average top 40 "hit". Tunes that make you think. Some call Supertramp prog, what do you think? Kansas? Over on the prog archives site they have Deep Purple as prog, and in the discussion forums some are thinking Iron Maiden should be added to the progressive metal list.

Like you said, I think I know prog when I hear it, what anyone else hears may be different. I think Genesis "Trick of the Tail" is prog, Abacab on the other hand is NOT prog[:)]

Nektar(great group) is prog, Deep purple is not prog (great group however)

Iron Maiden has had 3-4 concept albums, long songs, time signiture changes, are they prog? By definition I guess, but to MY ears...I think not.

Just thinking about prog...[:D]

Ron

by the way if you like Nektar check out renaissance., female singer but..[:D][:D]

LOL, fair enough. Thanks for trying our my suggestions though!

Hey, I'm just glad we haven't started calling each other names and started a flame war[:D]

See if you can find a sample of ,The Watch-Vacuum...... TRUST ME!!!

Ron

Hey TRon--

I found a sample of Vacuum by the Watch at http://www.progarchives.com/, and it sounds incredibly like Gabriel era Genesis--I want some!

But, can you get it for any less than $22--its not on the website attached to Prog Archives, and its not on allofmp3.com--I've only seen 1 copy on eBay for 18.50 with $4 shipping!

How did you get yours? Might have to bite the bullet--

Got mine on Amazon, don't remeber what I paid but I don't think it was $22. Its worth it however, not a bad tune on the disc..get it. They are headlining Rosefest this year. Sometime in April. I'm there.

If you want other recommendations let me know, I'm a prog FREAK[:D]

Ron

Ron

Couldn't sleep last night so I got to thinking (danger). Can you really define prog? Someone of the forum mentioned "sweeping or soaring melodies layered over vocals", I agree with that but couldn't you also say that of a Dean Martin, or The Honeydrippers tune? Maybe prog can't be defined, maybe its a state of mind musically? Someone on this forum has this in his signature," Lights out, feet up, tubes glowing" I think he should add "prog playing". That sums it up for me... Genesis "Suppers ready on the platter, Lights out, kicked back. the tubes a glowing.[:)] Brings a smile to my face thinking about it. Maybe prog takes you to a place, makes you think.

Sorry for the rambling, really don't have anyone I can talk to about this stuff. Its not like my wife will sit down and talk about the new The Watch CD, or my friends have a clue, isn't prog a city over in Europe?

Ron

Shucks TRon--

I think most of our wives acted like they liked our music before we were married! That's OK --she has her MSNBC and I got my prog-blues-rock-jazz-classical-etc to keep us happy--

Better than having to act like I like Lifetime--

My first foray into prog was YES and Kansas--saw them both a couple times-- and I never got into Genesis until I stole "Seconds Out" from a department store.

It was one of my favorite albums forever but I didn't get into Gabriel Genesis until the last five years-- I can remember some people back then complaining about all the synthesizers on their albums, so I stayed away--

Of course, now I fully appreciate the artful use of Mellotron and synths by them. But, now I think I've heard all versions of Supper's Ready too many times. I love the tune, but I'm always looking for something like it without a pretty singer--Marillion's singer urks me, and many other's too.

So many of the prog now filters down from Genesis and Yes--it sounds good but not quite original enough.

But, I still like it--

It would be great if some great new prog band came out that really had something original to say

You agree?