looking to get a home theatre receiver

WillFenton

All,

Hi, I'm a new poster, as I just joined the Klipsch family.

Purchased a pair of SF-1's this weekend. Problem is my stereo (an old

Sony MHC MCAV3, 50CD changer) system seems to be about shot. I've been

getting AM quality sound out of it for the last 2+months or so. Thought

it might jus be the CD player, but I was playing a cd out of my DVD

player last night and I still got the hiss and static in the background.

ANYway, I'm looking to upgrade and get a decent theatre receiver and

then a decent CD player as well. I'm wondering what type of a low-end

receiver (under $300 if at all possible) I can get that will still:

a) take advantage of the speakers - no use in not using them, right?

B) allow me to hook up my TV, CD player, DVD player and PS2

c) possible allow for a pc connection as well, as I have about 35 gigs of music on my harddrive at this point.

I'm looking at these 2 JCD decks, and any suggestions, opinions, etc.

would be much appreciated. I don't know a whole lot about this kinda

stuff, so I'm turning to the pros for a little bit of guidance.

Links:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fJ1KZEmmHNC/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&I=257RXD201S

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fJ1KZEmmHNC/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=257RXD302B&wm=su

Thanks!

ALOT of folks really like the sound of the Panasonic HT receivers with digital amplification paired with their Klipsch. I've not heard them paired, but you can search this forum and find a few threads that discuss forum members experiences with this combo. Great sound, plus it fits within your price range.

Here's an example:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=201995665&SearchEngine=Froogle&SearchTerm=201995665&Type=PE&Category=Elec&Gad=0&dcaid=17379

I would disagree with this advice a little. 70s vintage is way too old. It's not going to have any of the AV functionality you desire. I have a 7-year old Harman Kardon AVR85 and it has most of what you want but not all of it. I paid $420 for b-stock. It would go for maybe $100 - $150 now. Denon is also a good brand if you are willing to go used.

If you want new (and I would recommend this route), look at the Onkyos at www.onecall.com. I like the TXNR801 for $555 ($999 MSRP). It does have the ability to plug ethernet into it so you can stream your MP3s and Internet radio. It is a THX receiver with 7.1 and multi-room support. Another person, in the Home Theater subforum, thought the TXNR702 was better. OneCall has a sale going on with 12 months free financing. They have cheaper receivers also. Make sure you check out froogle and pricegrabber to make sure you are getting the best pricing and use resellerratings.com to check out vendors' ratings for service.

If I read a post in the 2 channel forum it implies to me to be looking for a music first priority.

HT recievers in the sub $ 500 price range just cannot supply enough current for realistic dynamics.

HK and Onkyo most likely are the better in this price range.

Marantz SR-18 or 19 are expensive receivers; but far more musical than average HT receiver.

My very subjective rule of thumb is a HT receiver should weigh over 30 pounds. My HT power amp weighs 72 pounds; dynamics are very good but it still does not sound as musical as any of my tube eqipment.