HDTV help please

shane_0_mac

Please help a dummy here :)

I have a Mitsubishi 55 inch HDTV and dish Network High Def Receiver. On the true HD channels the picture is unreal. But on non HD channels the picture size is off. for example if you are watching a football game the game trackers across the top and bottom are not visible. Is there anyway I fix this?

I think he meant the opposite. Your default is set to Zoom when it should be set to another option.

Many widescreen displays have different ways to display 4:3 images. You can do 'cinema' which will stretch horizontally so there are no bars on the sides (pillar boxing). You can leave the image unchanged which will leave the pillar boxing. You can do 'zoom' which basically magnifies the image so it fits horizontally but it does it by slicing off the top and bottom of your 4:3 image.

Just use your remote to page through your display options to find the best one.

"So when I am watching a non HD channel I should go to "zoom" mode? "

No. On my DirectTV remote there is a "format" button. On HD signals nothing happens when I push it. On non HD channels when pushed it cycles through "Full" (stretches the 4:3 to fit the screen, and is probably where you want it); "Zoom" (Zooms in so you don't have News crawlers to burn into your screen) and "Pillar Box" (don't want to watch more than 15% of the time or you can have burn in on RP TV's). What I am thinking is that you may have it on "Zoom" mode already, and need to change it to "Full," for non HD.

The MitsuTV remote has a "format" button on it somewhere as does your Dish remote. On the Dish I think it is on the bottom left and is the same as the "*" (star) button down by the numeric keypad.

That's why I put the satellite remote in bold. I don't think the Mitsubishi remote does anything when pressed on an upconverted 1080i signal from satellite.[:)] At least not on my TV.