FS CBR cornwalls with original risers

tuned4life

CBR cornwalls with factory risers. picked these up today in norwood N.Y. about 50 miles from my mothers house. it was a nice day so i made the 570 mile round trip and brought them home. i am having trouble with my dial up connection and couldnt post pics. you can see pics on ebay completed item # 5823873918. my wife wasnt pleased as i already have 4 pairs of cornwall's so i told her i would offer them here.. they are available to anyone that can pick them up in warsaw n.y.. original owner described them as mint and they are. first pair of CBR's ive seen with risers. original owner didnt stain them but applied many coats of linseed oil. i was surprised how dark they came out. serial # 22t547, 227548, built in 1979. i have a pair of CWO's that i need risers for so i wouldnt mind keeping the risers. i would sell the CBR's for 650.00 with the risers or 600.00 without the risers. will try again to load pics later.

These are most likely built by Andy Barr (HDBRbuilder); they're slightly newer than my pair of '79 C-BR decorator Cornwalls with risers (my serial numbers are 21T562 and 21T563 respectively)...see pic below of my C-BR stained by my dad with a walnut finish only.

The original seller did say in his eBay auction that his C-BRs were raw birch when purchased, then they were stained in a mahogany finish, and then the linseed oil was applied, which indicates the darker finish IMO. Either his auction description is flawed, or he forgot to mention that fact to tuned4life when he picked them up. I'm no woodworker, but I don't think any amount of linseed oil would make the wood veneer that dark.

Just my opinion...they look like a great buy to me![;)]

post-11084-13819274185054_thumb.jpg

I think you're right Jim, looks like stain prior to the linseed oil. I have a pair of LSBR's that were one owner. The original owner said he'd used Minwax Special Walnut stain, then coats of the BLO. They are not quite as deep as these, but mahogany is a very dark stain. Those do look fairly well cared for though. Any pix of tops? That's where the infamous plant rings come into play.

Michael