To upscale or not to upscale?

malechi

Why not give it a try and if you don't notice much improvement take it back or send it back?

I watched the Three Tenors last night after finding (and installing) my Toslink cable and mounting my DLP on the wall and it looked and sounded fantastic.

I'm using an InFocus 61md10 and OPPO DVD player with a DVI-HDMI cable and A/R toslink cable into an HK AVR85 receiver. I am embarassed to tell you what speakers I am using but I am saving up for Klipsch.

I'd just stick with what you have then as long as it's a good 480p player. I have a panasonic S97 which is considered a pretty good upscaling player but with my 51" hitachi rear projection it looks better to just use 480p out of my dvd player and let the tv upconvert it to 1080i. Plus I don't get macroblocking which is an annoying side effect of many upscaling dvd players.

From looking at the specs of your tv it looks like it only upconverts 480i sources to 480p I guess. A 480p source such as your progressive scan dvd player will be displayed at 480p on your tv. When I output 480p on my dvd player I can have my tv display it as 540p or 1080i. I've compared the two quite a bit and can't really tell any difference between them. You could try an upconverting player at 1080i but I honestly don't think you'll see much of a difference. Our tvs are small enough where it's harder to tell.