Govt Mule west tour.

colterphoto1

Just had my eardrums blasted by Warren Haynes and company at the small Egyptian Room at Murat Theatre last night. ONly $25 seats, I went with another Allman Bros fan and a Dead Head who'd both seen him before. The tight 4-piece band put up quite a ruckus on Halloween night for a crowd of about 1500 or so. Orange stage lights, cobwebs everywhere, skulls and glow-stick outfits for the band completed the illusion. Some tasty numbers in the crowd included a Victorias Secret Angel yum yum, and little red velour devil outfit. THere was a little cowgirl about to pop her plaid top who was a fave of mine and lets not forget the girl scout complete with knee sox.

Back to the show. I'd only see Govt Mule at outdoor summer venues where I didn't really pay much attention. Tonight was different. Opened up with a blues standard, did some unrecognized numbers with scorching guitar and very tasty B3 work, the launched into Led Zeps blues "I Can't Quit you Baby'. I'm thinking, 'this will be okay'. But the band kept on, Warren kept howling, the brought it waaaaay down low, you know, like Pagey doing those little fiddly notes just barely tapping the strings, and then with pounding not-quite-Bonzo-but-close pounding of the floor toms, brought it up to full vengence.

Great show, we were tired and pulled out a bit early. One slightly grating sound item was this very quick vibrato/chorus the sound guy used to fatten up the vocal. Got on me after a while. But great thunderous sound overall. Beautiful spectacular light show as well, one of the best I've ever seen in a small venue. The guy had his varilights doing every trick in the book. I watched him for a while, very intense 50's something old hippie, definietly had seen a few shows.

So go see em. It's a great time.

EDIT, I guess this was the last show on West tour. They'll prob be doing a NYC show for Christmas, seems they like to get out for the holidays. Looks like some great shirts and CD's on their website. About 12 guys with the portable stereo recording setups were there. Gawd, I'd like to get my hands on a few live recordings. END EDIT.

Michael

I'm Jealous!!!!!!! I am glad you paid attention this time. [:D] That sounds like that would of been a great show especially to hear them do a Zepp tune. They always Mule it up on covers, and almost make it their own. I just love the way Warren makes his guitar HOwl!!! The addition of the organ I was a little skeptical at first, but now it's great to hear that thing. I'm gonna have to see if their coming out my way. They probally already did. By the way Michael great avatar. Curly rules!

Duke, only two axes last night. Les Paul and a Firebird, is it. Gibson thing, looks like a THunderbird bass but not so angular. Course he had every effect pedal known to man

Pretty simple rigs all around. Keyboard did have B3, Rhodes and some electronics. played distorted piano a lot, kinda neat. The guy did some wah pedal Hammond leads that sounded just like a guitar. I swear- I kept looking at Warren and HE wasn't playing those notes, it was the keyboardist- kid has some serious chops.

Slingerland drum kit, single ride tom and dual floor ala Bonzo, some congas, lotsa cowbell!

Bassist had Precision and old Ampeg (8x10?) rig with Ampeg head.

Look pretty old school all around to me. Nothing fancy. Just hard jamming!

Michael