PING D-Man

djn

Hi D-Man, I have not been in this forum for long time but I posted the thread about using two khorn bass bins as subwoofers. It seems like it is not the good choice. You seem to know a lot about the theory and I don't. Just today a friend offered me back a home made Patrician cabinet with out driver. I was wondering if you knew if that cab would go down below 40hz. Would it work as a subwoofer with the right driver? Thank in advance. CHeers.

Dennis,

Send D-Man aka Dana an email or PM through the Forum and he'll get back to you.

To some degree there is a semantics problem involved with your query. To some, a "subwoofer" implies output below 30Hz, i.e., a Khorn type folded horn does not qualify. Others, including the guy at the Volvotreter site, use one (or more) Khorn type bass bin to augment the bass and call it a subwoofer.

If your goal is to reproduce really low bass, e.g. below 30Hz, then a Khorn type bass bin, including Patrician and the like, is probably not going to meet your expectations.

If your goal is to produce tight fast bass above 30Hz, then a folded bass horn is a viable option.

Hi Diz, I am really looking for tight fast bass from 100hz to 30hz or so. I do not do the HT thing so music is really where I place the emphsis. In some of the other discussion, it seems that 40hz was the low end of the khorn, that is why I ask about the patrician. As I understand them, they are about 18% larger than the khorn so does that mean they will go lower? Thanks.

In my opinion, no. Others feel that the the larger Ptrician/Ggeorgian, etc. go lower. For elaboration on both points of view, see Electro-Voice-EV-Corner-Horns-Georgian-Patrician .

Some people prefer the attack of La Scalas and use subwoofers that do not rely on horn loading to provide the deep bass. As with most things audio, there is no right or wrong answer, just whatever produces results you like.

Let me say this word of advice about paying attention to anything I might say:

take it with a grain of salt.

I am by no means any sort of an expert on anything. But I ALWAYS have an opinion on things, so as long as it is considered as an opinion only, then no harm, no foul. However, thanks for the vote of confidence. Everything I know I've learned from the hard work of others more dedicated and smarter than myself. I just blab alot and have a burning interest in the subject.

To answer you question, actually a pair of Khorn bass bins would seem to suit your needs as far as I understand them. They will cover the low 30's-400Hz range quite nicely. If you want a rapid cutoff somewhere around 100, then the drawback will be the crossover, it would seem that an active would be required.

The larger versions of the Khorn (EV Patrician) uses an 18" (or larger) driver and hence it tended to roll off its upper bass transients rather low, too. The 15" driver is a better choice IMO. Also the size required seems excessive if one makes a horn for say a 32Hz fc.

No need to go larger as far as I can see, they tried it once and it went extinct.

Now, why use Khorn bottoms for such a restricted response? Well, if you have the room, that's one answer; they do great bass.

DM