Very Excited!

ottscay

I just ordered an ifi (from ebay) to use as a computer 2.1 setup. I'll post a report once I get it hooked up and broken in. I love my big Klipsch sound system, and in the past I enjoyed the Promedia Ultras (currently with my girlfriend), but I'm really looking forward to hooking these puppies up to see what they can do with computer sound...

Scott

I just ordered an ifi (from ebay) to use as a

computer 2.1 setup. I'll post a report once I get it hooked up

and broken in. I love my big Klipsch sound system, and in the

past I enjoyed the Promedia Ultras (currently with my girlfriend), but

I'm really looking forward to hooking these puppies up to see what they

can do with computer sound...

Scott

The satellites on the iFi (RSX-3's) are definately superior to the

ProMedia Ultra's. It'd be nice if you could do a little side by side

comparison of both to see how they sound in relation to one another.

Hope you enjoy your new system. :)

Aside from slight attenuation of high end that can be offset by EQ the

iFI modified RSX-3 has a cleaner sound than the Promedia Ultra

satellite speakers. Klipsch is using a 3.5-inch

aluminum woofer and a 0.75-inch titanium dome in each satellite, plus they are ported.

Ok, I recieved my iFi system. I excitedly took it downstairs and unpacked it. I don't own an ipod, so I intend this strictly as a computer audio system. Here are my impressions:

The good: Mostly it's good. Except for an initial hook up issue (see below), the RSX-3s sound good right out of the box. After playing them for a few hours, I took another poster's suggestion and used my EQ to bump up the highend a hair. It's head and shoulders above the cruddy $20 speakers I took off the computer (no surprise there...). The subwoofer integrates well with the satelites, although the mid to low range doesn't sound as full as a large system (simple physics pretty much requires this). That said, the sound is much more detailed then my Promedia Ultra 5.1's are, without sounding harsh. This is easily the best media sound system I've heard, and I haven't broke them in yet! They certainly aren't as good as my rf-7s upstairs, but that's a manifestly unfair comparison. These small speakers are surprisingly musical even compared to big boy audio equipment; the sound quality is well worth this price. I'm tempted to upgrade to a better audio card so the speakers will sound their best. In fact, I think the two biggest compliments I can pay to the sound quality are 1) I am comparing them to highend floorstanding speakers to put them in their place, and 2) They are causing me to be bitten by the upgrade bug!

The bad: Ok, I understand that this is primarily an ipod system, and as such the following limitations may or may not be justified to other buyers: After unpacking my box like a kid in a candy store, I hooked the sats up to the sub and then...was crestfallen to discover absolutely no way to hook the auxillary jack to my computer. I guess you're expected to buy your own mini-jack connector if you want to hook an iFi to a computer. I had to run back to the office and steal one from my Polk media speakers I have hooked up to my work computer. This certainly put a damper on my initial excitement.

I also think the instructions should make it very clear that when hooking the iFi up to a computer (with or without an ipod in use) you need to lower the volume output your computer to abut 40% and then control the audio with the iFi remote. Here's what happened to me: By default my iFi was on mute/standby (probably because there wasn't an ipod in it..?). I already had a cd playing in the computer. I tried turning the iFi up, thinking it was set low. Then it occurred to me to hit the mute button, and the speakers blared. After regaining hear (ok, it wasn't that bad), the speakers kept crackling, and I thought for a horrified 5 minutes that I'd blown them already. Believe me that feels cruddy! I tried a number of things, checking cord connetions, etc. Eventually I stumbled upon the need to turn the audio down on my soundcard, and the music started to sound beautiful (see glowing audio endorsement above).

Final observations:

So what's the verdict? I love these speakers. They sound fantastic, and considering the Reference-series technology they bring to my desktop, I have no complaints about price at all. Although I don't own an ipod, I certainly don't mind that the iFi is made specifically for them. I do think that in a future revision Klipsch could enhance the experience of ipod and non-ipod users alike by adding brief installation guidelines for computer hook up, and by including a mini-jack cord.

These really are small problems, and (personal scare not withstanding) are easily overcome with a bit of fore knowledge. I'm sure anyone reading this already knows that the IFi is hands down the best sounding ipod system; for those of you worrying about the computer experience I can say it's worth it. Take this information, go get one (check out those half price referbs Klipsch is offering on ebay!) and enjoy the best media experience your computer is likely to have.

nice mini review. certainly bigger speakers are better, but for the size, the rsx-3's are tuff to beat. The soundcard issue goes for all speaker systems, not just the ifi's. The ifi's sound great on my revo and it can even be at max volume only because its a good soundcard. But you have to be careful not to blow the input stage, so like you said 40% volume is fine, and i would say no more than 70-80% for any card unless its a real pos and has no output like an iMac. I had a really hard time getting any decent volume from an imac. I had iTunes at max, the main volume at max, and the iFi's at max and for any mp3 lesst han 160kbps, I had only modest volume. I blame the mac and itunes for that crap! I dont use either at home.

After playing them for a few hours, I took another poster's suggestion and used my EQ to bump up the highend a hair.

Scott, how far are you from the speakers when you listen? I'm curious about how much distance from the speakers affects the top end.

I agree about including the cable for computer hookup. No need to change the matketing, but obviously people are going to want to hook these up to their computers, and for the price it can only create good will to include the cable.

Nice mini-review ottscay!

I love the iFi and frequently recommend it to people in retail stores

but I sure wish Klipsch would initiate a revision in the

shipped package along the lines of all the feedback they have received.

1) Add a mini-jack stereo cord for computer operation. jheeeze it costs so much to include this.

2) No real documentation regarding iFi usage with a

computer. There are a awful lot of non-iPod computer users

out there in the marketplace.

3) Don't ship the battery installed in the remote because you never know how long the vendor has had the box before you buy it.

007 how does the rsx5 sound hook up to the ifi???

I know you have a pair of them lying around in your home have you experimented hooking those to the ifi?

Have not tried em yet, but they will work. They have similar FR response and the same impedance.

Nice mini-review ottscay!

I love the iFi and frequently recommend it to people in retail stores but I sure wish Klipsch would initiate a revision in the shipped package along the lines of all the feedback they have received.

1) Add a mini-jack stereo cord for computer operation. jheeeze it costs so much to include this.

2) No real documentation regarding iFi usage with a computer. There are a awful lot of non-iPod computer users out there in the marketplace.

3) Don't ship the battery installed in the remote because you never know how long the vendor has had the box before you buy it.

With that, I have got requests for black. Yes thats sort of a huge issue, but at least the rsx's already come in black. There are black ipods and NO black ipod speakers. Some people are stupid and buy things only for teh color!

My speakers are 3-6 feet from me during normal use; I wouldliketomovetem further back, but until I getthe home office completely rearranged, this will be problematic. In regards to other posts, it will be nice if/when Klipsch addresses the computer market, but I'm sure they are looking at the cost/benefit ratio. Noneof us know what sales figures look like, so maybe it makes sense to delay those changes (or maybe they need to sell out the first batch). With the introduction of the systems at Ultimate, etc, often being featured prominantly, this may be encouragement to try and market ifi's to a wider audience. I'm sure Klipsch is not intentionally shorting themselves out of sales.

And the ifi really rocks!