Ceiling height

damonrpayne

I talked to the HVAC guy at my house this morning. He says heating ducts will be no problem. I have a 13 course basement and a somewhat larger beam so that I could do a 22' span without any vertical supports in there messing up my view. He says nothing will come down below the level of the beam, so I should have a level ceiling with nothing to box around. I need to get down there and measure but I think after they pour the basement floor in I should still have 8' from the floor to the bottom of this beam. It doesn't give me much room to insultate the ceiling for sound proofing but it'll have to do. Sounds good?

Damon, if they have their wits about them, they can run all the long HVAC (heat, cooling and RETURN AIR) ducts, plumbing and waste runs in a bulkhead running parallel to your steel beam.

What they SHOULD NOT DO is have short runs of waste pipe or heat runs arbitrarily sticking below your floor joists. For the most part, your basement ceiling should be flush to the bottom of the floor joists, not the steel beam, there might be one 4' wide bulkhead for beam and all mechanicals- THAT"S IT! Otherwise it's a poor floor plan or poor planning with regards to the mechanical chases.

Michael