B&K Receiver vs. separates ?

Macallan

I have narrowed my decision to either the the B&K AVR 507, 150x7 or the B&K Reference 50 paired with the B&K 125.7. B&K claims that the AVR 507 uses the exact same preamp as the Reference 50. Buy going with the AVR I would gain 25wpc and it would save me much needed space in my cabinet. Are their any downsides to the AVR route? I will be using the B&K 200.2 to drive the RF-7 mains and the receiver to drive the rest. I do not want to go the 200.7 route because i don't have the space and can't justify the cost when i use my system for 80% music.

The AVR-507 with series 2 mods is excellent. The amp section is inbetween the 125.7 and the 200.7. If you plan on keeping the receiver for a long time, it would be reasonable. Otherwise, separate amps will last 20 years while preamps may last 3 to 5 years before they become obsolete.

Preamps and receivers are just like personal computers that are highly specailized for multi-media processing. The biggest difference is that you cannot change the software and ports to run the current sound and video formats. Hence, periodic upgrades are needed. Why change amps every time the processor is obsolete?

Separate processors may sound a bit better due to the fact that the low level signal is kept farther from the amps big power supply and its noise.

Bill

Hey Mr. McGoo, you seem very knowledgeable about this stuff. I'm new to the amp world, as I have just lost money in the past by buying a new AVR every couple of years. I'm using my Denon as a pre/pro now with my new amp. Do you think I would appreciate any significant performance increase by getting the B&K preamp, or just stick with what I have for now and wait until my current AVR is obsolete?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Hunt,

You would probably hear an improvement with a dedicated preamp, but do not buy one now. New surround formats will be out early next year. wait till late 2006 to upgrade processors/receivers when instant obsolescence is less of a problem. Next generation auto room correction will be available as well.

Bill