Grounding equipment

fini

What is the best way to ground audio equipment, such as this old Sansui reciever that I'm setting up in my bedroom? Why, if they're asking you to ground the thing, didn't they just use a grounded supply cord? Could I just replace the existing cord with a three-prong jobber (properly connecting the ground, of course!)? This would seem to be the most elegant solution. Opinions? Thanks, friends! fini

My understanding is that to simply ground an audio system, you should use a three prong surge protector, with electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency (RF) filtering, then plug all of the front-end components into it, without any cheater plugs. If there is a problem with this approach, I would sure like to know myself ...

------------------

horns & subs; lights out & tubes glowing

Hiya, Fini and Colin.

The neutral wire (the wider of the two plug prongs) is, eventually, connected to a ground. This normally happens in the service panel box. So, in a sense, the equipment is already grounded. Of course, this "ground" wire (the neutral) also acts as a current path so you may desire addtional grounding sometimes.

Adding a three prong supply cord would work, as long as you attach the ground conductor to the equipment case. Plugging the equipment into a surge protector can reduce noise, but doesn't really "ground" the equipment any more than it already is. Of course, the filtering may be all you need.

If you still need grounding, or want to try that instead, just crimp eyes onto the ends of a wire and use that as a ground - put one eye under the screw on the wallplate at the receptacle and put the other eye under the ground screw your Sansui most likely has near the antenna jack. If there's no ground screw (usually marked with a symbol that looks like an upside down Christmas tree), then any chassis screw should work fine. Keep in mind that using the wallplate's center screw only works on grounded outlets and won't offer any grounding in old ungrounded wiring (usually pretty old homes).

As far as the instructions asking you to ground the equipment, that's a pretty standard warning and it's probably in the front of the manual with all the other warnings, right? Like don't use the receiver in the shower, don't block the vent holes, etc. Properly functioning house wiring does offer a ground path through the neutral. Adding the extra (separate) ground is extra security in case of a ground fault.

Best wishes,

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

fini, if the sansui came with a 2-prong outlet, are they maybe talkin about grounding something else that may be connected to it like a turntable or tv/radio ant

or cable tv or dbs? doesn't make much sense they would say to ground the receiver but it came w/ only a 2 prong plug.

i would highly advise the old axiom here "if it ain't broke don't fix it". using a safety ground plug (3 prong) can open up a big can 'o worms - GROUND LOOP. take it from me as soon as i hooked up the new acurus amp that came w/ a 3 prong plug, i discovered i had a ground loop. & after 2 months i'm still in the process

of correcting it. from electricians, to using ground loop isolators, to taking out some equipment connections. cwm14.gif

though u can have ground loops even without using a safety ground. as ross said u still have a ground using only the 2 prong plug. i believe this is my case

as i have to use 2 different outlets though at least they're on the same circuit.

sorry to get off on a tangent. just my advice is don't use a 3 prong plug unless it's there originally & the unit absolutely requires it.

most receivers don't.

i wouldn't worry about it.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

(2)KLF C7 (front center & rear center)

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HT200 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

Monster HTS1000 powercenter

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 10-09-2001 at 01:35 AM

Depending on how old the receiver is, it was a very common pratice to "ground" the turntable to the reciever chassis to reduce hum and give the turntable a proper ground reference level. I am sure that this is what they are refering to.

If you are not experiencing any hummimg type noises I would not worry about it.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC