Yamaha 657 Comments (BillH too, please)

Jeff Matthews

Jeff ,

I haven't gotten this unit yet, but I plan too soon. That being said, Of the units I have researched it has the best YAPO (auto speaker setup), For the money . Go to http://reviews.cnet.com/Yamaha_RX_V657_6_1_Channel_Digital_Home_Theater_Receiver/4507-6466_7-31427721.html?tag=nav for a review. The unit at B/B which is its sister unit is the HTR 5860.

Prices are running about 350.00 - 400.00. Seems prices have really fallen on this unit!

Basically it will do everything you want with plenty of breathing room ,that the more expensive unts

do. Regards Bill H.

Another research link is http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/reviews/pdf_reviews/RX-V657review.pdf I think you will be impressed.

Jeff,

I currently use a HTR-5790 as a preamp and a DBX BX-1 amp. This weekend I will be demoing a NAD t163 pre/pro. The htr-5790 is the same as a rxv-1400.

The Yamaha that I have, which is a step above the model you are looking at, has preouts, video upconversion,YPOA and some other really great features. My only desire to get rid of it is the possibility of better sound quality. As I said I will be testing this theory this weekend. If the Nad's performance doesnt significally improve the performance of my system I will be keeping the Yamaha.

The YPOA is a great feature, It has a auto PEQ room EQ and when set to EQ your speakers to your mains it does a fantastic job of making my Heresy center match my Cornwalls, the result is a seemless frontstage.

My beef with these Yamahas are the internal amps, they are ok but lack the oomph in the low end. The model you are looking at has preouts as well so upgrading the amp in the future is a possibility. My other problem with them is that they generate alot of heat from the front of the units which worries me about the longevity of the product.

That being said I still feel that it is a great starter ht reciever and unless the NAD drops my jaw will happily stay with the Yamaha for HT control

Wayne