Progressive scan not working?? Need help!?!

Rebelord

Heres whats up. I have a pretty crappy Sony SLV-D300P DVD player. When I play movies with Progressive scan on. The picture kinda has a real fuzzy edge and not quite as sharp or clear. But If I leave it off and leave the componets hooked up to the tv. Its 10x better. Am I doing something wrong here? Kinda feel lame. But any input would be appreciated.

Ski

BTW I have a 16:9 42" Toshiba 42h83 RPTV HD

If it works, but just not as good of a picture, what is probably happening is your TV has a better "line doubler" or "de-interlacer" than your DVD player. If you are happy with the straight picture, don't worry about it. If not, you could either play with the various settings on the DVD player, and maybe get a set up disc like Video essentials, or you could try upgrading the DVD player, since by your own admission, yours is "pretty crappy."

Search the internet for your player's model number on various forums, and you may be able to find settings that have worked for others.

Also, you've probably already run through the set-up menu, but make sure your DVD player is set to output 16:9, and not 4:3, that might cause the problem you are describing.