Aragon vs Halo?

el jopez

Win what? The Halo amps sound a lot like Denon receivers. Slightly overempasized midrange to make them more forward ( and more powerful then they really are) and a dulled out top end that lacks "air". They also don't track linearIy. When the volumes is turned down, the highs and the lows fall off faster than just normal Fletcher/Monson effect. I kept my A21 a whole six weeks before dumping it. Probably the only piece of gear I've lost money on in the past decade.

I understand that Aragon are very neutral. Meaning they aren't really voiced for anything except faithful reproduction.

Are you asking for 2 Channel or HT? I have Halo in my HT and it sounds noting like JewishAMerPrince's description. That said, it is an HT application, so I really have no idea if the treble lacks air. I never found the midrange to be pronounced, however, which may just be a matter of personal preference as something like that should be easily recognized in movies.

It isn't my cup of tea for stereo.

Ok lets get some things straight... Some are facts, some of these are my opinions... So take em how you like it..

Fact:

The Aragon gear is fantastic.. they were never "voiced for Klipsch" Rather they were created to be superior gear, that also happened to sound great with superior speakers.. Ultra 2 and all the formats.. great warm but natural amps...

My Opinion:

The line failed for 2 reasons..

Marketing.. and the "High End" arena has tanked since 2000. We now have many features on units as low as 200 dollars and "Joe Blow" consumer sees this... and no longer pays for high end gear. The high end guy now sees 1-3k as his normal limit where he may have spent 4-8k a few years ago.

Marketing wise, Klipsch was squeezed do you want us to carry your speakers... or this company you own amps...which we already have a lot of inventory on high end gear now..that is not selling.... What do you want to do.

Last, as we have seen the Stage One from a supply standpoint has parts that are not availiable anymore. So good luck if it really goees bad. The amp will live on.. Not so sure about the Pre Amp. Now I have no problems.. Some have.

BTW.. I own the Stage One and the 2007. It is an awesome compination with K horns etc.

ah, good info.

Prince:

I did follow your review of the Rotel and the Halo 2 channel amp on the

HTGuide forum. Very good read which I keep going back to for

referrence in possibly buying a A21.

KEV:

Currently I have a stereo setup with the Halo 23 amp. I am

contemplating a purchase of a 5 channel amp which if I stay with the

Halo line will be a A52. Like most gear reveiws I see the pros

and cons, but it doesnt make to much of a difference to me since I

myself havent autitioned them in my enviroment.

Indy:

My bad, I had read about the voice matchin on the forum from other posters before, thats where I pulled the blurb from.

Like I said, I am looking at buying a 5 channel amp in the near

future. Right now I have a 2 channel Halo amp with a B&K Ref

50 Pre/Pro. Since Klipsch has unloaded a few Aragon peices on

eBay I may take a gander at a good 5 channel peice and sell the Halo or

buy another Halo amp to compliment it. However at this point I

have yet to outrule either B&K or Rotel amps. But to clarify,

my empahsis is stereo, with HT coming in 2nd.

Joe

If you like the Halo Amp, why not keep it for the mains, especially for 2 channel? And use the Aragon 2005 to give you 5.1 or 7.1 set ups? Easy enough to switch out.. or have 7.1 expanded too.

The pre amp will be a bigger improvement than any amp will. (unless it is junk of course.. lol)