forte woofer repair help

AlabamaBob

I am now the owner of a set of forte's that I picked up at a local TS for $20.00. Took them home and hooked 'em up to the garage system and found one of the woofers was not working. Took it out of the cab and one of the woofers has the basket separating from the magnet and this is causing the VC to rub. There is a gasket of some type of compressed material that is glued between the basket and magnet. It has separated (unglued from both the basket and magnet) and is allowing the magnet to pivot on the points where it is still glued......

Is this an easy fix such as epoxy between the gasket and basket and magnet???

Suggestions???

The cone, VC, spider and rest appear to be in great shape... When I push the magnet flat against the gasket and basket the cone and VC move in and out freely.

The other speaker looks like the mid and tweet were not working, but the woofer was. Did not dig into that one yet...

Should I replace the crossovers???? with new??? ANd if so any one have a source and part number???

Thnaks...

omi

You just need to replace the diaphrams in the midrange and tweeter to get them up and running again. You can contact Klipsch parts at 1-800-Klipsch or contact BobC (Bob Crites) here on the forum and he can supply you with the diaphrams. Check the midrange and tweeters with a multi-meter to see if they read open first.

The Forte' woofer is no longer available from Klipsch if I remember correctly, good luck repairing it. I was going to suggest a recone but that won't be possible if the magnet is detached from the frame. Perhaps Klipsch or BobC could suggest a replacement for it. You should be able to get them up and running for like $150 or so, since you only have $20 invested so far $170 is a steal for a pair of functional Forte's they sell anywhere from $400-$700 on eBay.

Good luck getting them up and running they are really worth it, perhaps the best frequency balanced Klipsch speakers ever produced. I owned a pair for over 12 years.

The diaphragms on the midranges have the Voice Coil wires wrapped around the wires leading to the terminal connector. I am not sure if there was any soldering (originally) involved, but I DO know that they can get into a state where they are no longer electrically connected. Disassemble the driver from the plastic horn (very easy). The VC is mounted to a plastic piece. If the VC is a nice copper color, I would FIRST assume that they MAY be able to be repaired. Take a low wattage soldering iron and rub it against the VC wire/terminal connector wire (wrap) connection (the plastic WILL melt if you are not careful). If corrosion was the culprit, that should get you back in business. As opposed to the tweeter diaphragms, these are a bit harder to come by ... or more expensive at least. Good Luck.

I epoxyed the gasket and basket and magnet last night. Hooked it up this A.M. and we had sound. Seems to be working fine and have not noticed any rubbing of the VC. Good sign

Took the tweet out of the speaker where it was not working and exchanged it with the good one Worked like a champ in the other speaker Hmmmmm Could it be an issue with the cross over????

Removed the cross over from both of the speakers to see what they looked like

Hmmmm one sure dont look like the other.

Hmmmmm transformer (?) all hangin loose on one with a capacitor (?) not connected

Could that be the problem????

Re set the transformer Fired up the El Cheapo soldering iron and soldered the gizmo to the same location as the good cross over

Fired up the speakers and we had SOUND.

Sounded pretty good hooked up to my garage receiver.

Looks like keepers.

I cleaned all the old rubber cement from the tops of both speakers

I see a veneering project in my future.

Congratulations!!

I also own the Fortes and think they are a wonderful speaker capable of producing a full, detailed and balanced sound regardless of the type of mucis you play.

I upgraded the X overs by replaceing the caps with auricaps (same values) and highly recommend it. The detail was all there but with a smoothness that was lacking in the original parts.

I thought I got a deal on mine at $425.00! Yours is a steal!

Dave