ref or thx????????

rcvecc

hi everybody,first post here

im deciding on the ultra 2 system or the ref with the 7s

i have a 15x 24 room(not dedicated theater)and my seat is about 18' away from the front wall and i have a few questions for ya

1.which system would i be better off with for 5.1 in a normal living room

2.would the thx subs be better than dual rsw 15s if i was to go with the thx mains and surrounds?

3.which subs are more flexible in terms of placement?

4.how is the thx system for music?(im not too snobby in this area)

ive had many models of klipsch in the past and i went another route about 2 years ago and im sorry i did so im coming home where i belong-it sounds wierd but i have an empty feeling that wont go away untill i get them again.

thanks in advance....ron

Welcome to the forum!!!

The THX system would take up less space than the 7 system and has better WAF. The THX system is better for movies if set up properly. The 7 system is better for music. The dual THX subs are the killer in a plain wraper. They are in a league of their own.

The THX system requires that listeners be seated in a smaller area than the 7 system.

There is very little difference in placement options with subwoofers, except that a smaller size may offer more options. Sub placement is a math thing. Room modes are a function of room dimensions and are the same for all subs. Dual subs may offer more even bass response.

Bill

I'm just setting up my 7 system, my last pair of rf-7's should be here tomorrow, they are a great speaker, much better than my rf-3's, I'm sure either way you go, you'll be happy. I too would like to try the thx system but in the end I guess you have to decide on one or the other. I just like the look of the rf-7's over the other stuff, I have a 9.2 setup and while they do fill the room, they fill it with KLIPSCH, so I'm happy! They deliver plenty of punch on movies, I'm not a big music fan, but now that I have the rf-7's I find myself listening more, 7 channel stereo is defininently WOW!

1. ) The THX system is better for movies and I'd say the R7 might have a small advantage in regards to music. I've not had the chance to AB the two systems directly.

2. ) The THX subs are very much better than the RSW-15's. Both systems will achieve insane SPL's; Dual RSW's will go slightly louder, but the THX subs will dig deeper....I would also argue that the ultra subs are definetly less colored as well (lower distortion).

3. ) Since the Ultra subs are smaller they should be much easier to place. Also, the Ultra subs are front-firing (both port and driver) whereas the RSW is rear firing active with a front firing passive (which is the same thing as a port). You will be able to tuck the ultras up against walls or even flush mount, whereas the RSW will need space to breathe.

4. ) At the klipsch pilgrimage I felt that the Ultra system was by far the best sounding system for music...yes, even better than the heritage stuff. I know many here will disagree with me on this point (as they declare heritage the epitomy of all things audio), but the important thing is that the system is still good for reproducing music. But since music doesn't seem like you're main intent you certainly have nothing to worry about.

Since you obviously have a lot of cash to spend, might I suggest you reroute some of those funds into room acoustics. I know you're in a normal living room, but I would totally take the synergy system over the Ultras if the synergy system was in an acoustically treated room and the ultras weren't. The room really has that large of an impact on the sound quality.

thanks for the replies guys

im not going to stay in my current home for more than a couple of years so when i move,i will make sure i have a good spot for a h/t ?

so i think im going to try the ultra system then when i move i can design the room accordingly.im sure it will blow me away

and NOOOO!!!!i dont have a lot of cash to spend,but, i rather buy the better system now and then treat the room when money allows-better long term results

also is this thx system going to stay in production?

and is there any news on new products on the way?

thanks again.....ron

1. ) The THX system is better for movies and I'd say the R7 might have a small advantage in regards to music. I've not had the chance to AB the two systems directly.

2. ) The THX subs are very much better than the RSW-15's. Both systems will achieve insane SPL's; Dual RSW's will go slightly louder, but the THX subs will dig deeper....I would also argue that the ultra subs are definetly less colored as well (lower distortion).

3. ) Since the Ultra subs are smaller they should be much easier to place. Also, the Ultra subs are front-firing (both port and driver) whereas the RSW is rear firing active with a front firing passive (which is the same thing as a port). You will be able to tuck the ultras up against walls or even flush mount, whereas the RSW will need space to breathe.

4. ) At the klipsch pilgrimage I felt that the Ultra system was by far the best sounding system for music...yes, even better than the heritage stuff. I know many here will disagree with me on this point (as they declare heritage the epitomy of all things audio), but the important thing is that the system is still good for reproducing music. But since music doesn't seem like you're main intent you certainly have nothing to worry about.

Since you obviously have a lot of cash to spend, might I suggest you reroute some of those funds into room acoustics. I know you're in a normal living room, but I would totally take the synergy system over the Ultras if the synergy system was in an acoustically treated room and the ultras weren't. The room really has that large of an impact on the sound quality.

Aa always good sound advice from the Dr! (cept fer the Heritage thing)[;)]

Yup,she is a keeper!!!.i am the king of my castle and ill do what i want as long as she says i can

Really,waf is not a problem,i get a couple of comments from time to time but she knows how much i love this hobby so she just lets things be

Im deciding on weather to place the order now or to just let the holidays pass first,you know,once they come in ill need some quality time alone with these babies

I feel relieved knowing that im going to get a klipsch system back in my house,there really is no substitute yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa

Thanks again for your input

Ron

As always good sound advice from the Dr! (cept fer the Heritage thing)[;)]

lol [:P]

Btw, be sure to come back and post about your future house and dedicated HT. It seems there are always a few threads going on in the architectural forum about such projects and everyone can learn a lot by watching how the plans of others unfold. Also, I'm sure you'll get some good advice too [;)]

i will definetly be back here for some good advice when ready.seems to be a lot of it

my move to another house wont be for 1-2 years im trying to pay off as much of this place as i can before i go(man i hate mortgages)

thanks for the replies

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned but the amp for the Ultra2 subs is an outboard amp and it allows you some frequency tuning. It might be easier to configure for vagaries of your room.

Also, you can buy some inexpensive acoustic treatment for the corners of your room and you can easily take it with you. www.gikacoustics.com has got some good stuff at very affordable prices.

also is this thx system going to stay in production?

and is there any news on new products on the way?

thanks again.....ron

The THX Ultra2 is a pretty modern system so I expect it will bearound for a while.

One of the other folks on this forum, a dealer I believe, said that Klipsch is coming out with an in-wall THX Ultra2 speaker. That might not mean much in your current (remporary) home but it might be valuable for your new place. Perhaps you go 5.1 now and then go to 7.1 when you move.