Remote problems

colterphoto1

I have a Yamaha RXV2400 receiver. Weather is a little dry and I got a good shock today while powering the unit up at the receiver. Ever since the remote has been acting funny. I changed batteries, checked the battery compartment, no luck. My old Yammie had a RESET button you could trip with a bent paperclip, this one has no such button on the remote, just LEARN, etc.

Any hints? I hate to think that the receptor on the unit has burnt out, it's probably something simple, but I cant get it to work.

Michael

To reset, do this:

Make sure receiver is in standby mode (power off on front panel)

On front panel, hold down Straight/effect button, then press power

Rotate Program knob to desired setting (RESET)

Press standby/on to save reset

I dont know if this applies or not

does the remote do anything, like turn it on

Thanks Travis.

I don't know if this did it or not, I pressed the CLEAR button, the display lit up with CLEAR, I hit CLEAR again, and it's working. Maybe that's the RESET on this model (I had to use it occasionally on my old 850 unit when static freaked it out).

Seems like YPAO is still intact and function to all programmed units work, even the aux that I reclassified as Cassette is still there.

Cool. Just had to proceed cautiously. It always helps to talk it over on Forum.

I sure didn't want to hit the MEMORY or LEARN buttons. Even went to the manual (imagine that) and couldn't find anything.

I've got to remember to discharge static on the metal Bell-O rack before touching a component. Has anyone every blown anything up due to static charge?

Michael

Hi Michael, sounds like you solved your problem that's great. The easiest way I know of to reset a remote back to its origional factory settings if it doesn't have a reset button is to take out the batteries and hold/press down the buttons to discharge any residual energy for a minute or two. Works like a charm.

Cheers

Thanks Travis.

Has anyone every blown anything up due to static charge?

Michael

Having been raised by an electrical engineer and working\building on so many electronic components over the years, I even catch myself grounding before I pick up my knife and fork to eat dinner!!!!

I also do a lot of things with one hand in my lap and one hand on the equipment (that did not come out like I intended-edit).

Current takes the shortest path. It scares you when voltage runs through your fingers but it would be a lot worse if it ran all the way through your body.

Wes,

"I also do a lot of things with one hand in my lap and one hand on the equipment (that did not come out like I intended-edit)."

Very normal move- Protect the Jewels!!!!!

Michael- Have you thought about a simple rubber mad in front of the rack? You can get them

in color to match your carpet!. http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=H-894&ref=1755