KSW-12 options?

Watchengineer

Hi,

My son has a small Sony 5.1 surround system (everything came in one

box) and he wanted to know if he could use my KSW-12 sub (which I am

not using) with his system. The sub that came with his system isn't

powered and only has one (+ -) speaker wire going to it. Is it possible

to use the KSW-12, and if so, how would I wire it up?

Thanks for any info.

Hi Irnwoods,

Will my sons reciever drive the KSW-12 if I hook up the speaker wire to

the line level input or will the built in amp of the KSW take the

signal and amplify it?

I have 2 SVS subs and I use the LFE output from my reciever to send the

signal to the subs. In my sons case, his reciever is driving the sub

that came with his 5.1 package.

The KSWs speaker level inputs will down convert the signal strength through a 1 Kohm resistor, and then use it's own built in amp to........ uhmmm...... amplify it.

Typically the mains would be run off the KSWs speaker level, 2-channel *outs*, but in this case, I've a feeling there is *only* low frequency info being sent from the reciever on this one channel.

Start with a very low volume on the subs plate amp, as I don't think it will take much to excede the mains volume.

Ya know.... this is gonna make the kid want a better reciever and speakers, don't cha? [:o]

I see in your signature, that you're running the front effects channels off your Yamaha. Were these added after, or during the initial set-up? Comments?

Thanks for the info ironwoods.

I'll try the setup you suggested.

If he wants a better system, It'll have to come out of his pocket. [:)]

I've upgraded my system from Synergy to Reference over the last 4 or 5 years. I jumped up in receiver and DVD player quality also. Originally I had the front effects set to off until I could find a Reference speaker that would fit my system. The RB-15's fit the bill and sound fantastic! I think it really opens up the front sound stage. As you know, everything has to fit the pocket book and I think the system I have put together sounds awesome. For me, the only thing left is a High Def TV set. What I really want is a Sony SXRD. The only problem I have with the 2 sets they are offering is the speakers on the side. It makes the set two wide. I'm waiting for them to offer one (60 inch) with the speakers on the bottom. After that I may get the upgrade bug again (a DVD player that will up convert to 1080 [:)].

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the info ironwoods.

I'll try the setup you suggested.

If he wants a better system, It'll have to come out of his pocket. [:)]

What I really want is a Sony SXRD. The only problem I have with the 2 sets they are offering is the speakers on the side. It makes the set two wide. I'm waiting for them to offer one (60 inch) with the speakers on the bottom. After that I may get the upgrade bug again (a DVD player that will up convert to 1080 [:)].

Hi,

Sony makes great displays and I have always liked their equipment but I think I would wait on the SXRD until they upgrade it to accept a 1080p signal and 1080p programming is more wide spread. In the mean time, the price will drop and all the bugs will have been rung out. The price may drop so drastically that it would justify a much less expensive HD solution like a front projector in the interum. Even 1080i and 720p programming is pretty limited now so having two displays may be even a better solution overall. A smaller display for SD and a larger display for HD and DVD's.

Seasons Greatings and congratulations on your reference series upgrade!!!

That would make anyone's Holiday!

Hi westcott,

I agree with you on waiting, but it seems like the latest and the

greatest isn't that way for very long. There always seems to be

something BETTER on the horizon. Usually I'll make a decision after a

lot of research, and opinions from owners of the product I'm

considering. Then it comes down to what is in the old wallet [:)].

Klipsch Reference speakers are fantastic! I wouldn't own anything else.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours [*].