Hammond, DynaClone, or other output transformers?

yaffstone

I'm going to build a 7 channel surround sound tube amp using 6N1P-EV triode

drivers into KT-88 ultralinear push pull. The only output

transformers I've found so far are Hammond and DynaClone. Has

anyone had enough experience with these to recommend between

them? Alternatively, what's the thinking on best output

transformers these days?

Thanks,

David

I'm curious as to why you decided on the 6N1P-EV driver tube? Nothing against it just never thought of it myself.

On the Iron front honestly if your going to expect the best performance out of the effort I wouldn't cut your self short on the iron. I have no experience with the new Iron at Triode but judging by the retail price of it and knowing what I know about costs there has to be some corners cut in some important places on both option's you have mentioned. I can hook you up with excellent iron if your serious about this but it isn't going to be $80 a piece. Just to give you a example Magnaquest when they were still producing there excellent reproduction of the A-431 they retailed at $189 each and $159 for the P-706 power transformers. It's pretty hard to figure how someone can cut the cost in half and not be cutting a corner somewhere along the line. I can supply upgraded versions A431 for $129 each and the P706 for $109 each. Your welcome to contact any VRD owner or Dr. Bill who I supplied this Iron too for feed back.

Craig

The 6n1P-EV is a Russian military tube I stumbled accross. It's supposed to be quiet and rugged (rated for bomb EMP use). If it doesn't work out, I'll switch to E88CC since they're pin compatible. I've seen some positive articles from Eastern block DIY audiophiles who have built SETs using these for the driver stage. The only down side to 6N1P I see so far (from specs) is that the filament current is twice normal for a low gain signal tube.

Back to the iron, I may go used if I can find enough.