KG-4's Are they really that inferior to the Forte II?

tkeady

No comparison.

The KG4s are really nice for the money (around $200/pair or less) but they can't touch a Forte, Chorus, Cornwall, etc. Personally, I like the sound of the KG3.5. They seem a little smoother than the KG4 and there's no rear passive to worry about for positioning.

From my observations The KG 4 is a fine speaker, however they are usually rated at either 4 or 6 Ohm.........and require more power-or volume to attain the same range as a 8 Ohm forte. As others

have stated, the kg 4 sounds more muted, and the Fortes are cleaner and give more Punch!

I've got both KG4's and Forte II's also. Altho I don't recall doing a comparison, the KG is still a fine speaker in it's own right. You may want to be sure both 8" drivers in front are producing

actual sound, which can be deceiving. One of my Kg4's had a bum 8" driver, and they are very

expensive to replace, and seems someone is always in need of these drivers.

I had my niece use mine for 2 weeks and she never questioned the difference in sound!

Maybe you could compare the KG4's to a less expensive speaker - maybe the muddiness and dullness will dissappear!

NP - LZ - Presence

Biggest difference between KG4 and Forte, to me, is the midrange. KG4 uses a conventional cone for the midrange while the Forte uses a compression driver mated to a horn. I too feel that the KG4 sounds "muddy" compared to my Heresy of La Scala. I attribute the muddiness to the midrange. The horns are able to open-up the sound and allow it to pan out into the room the way in such a way as to make what you're hearing sound "live." The KG4, with it's cone-driven midrange, seems, "closed," or "muddied" in direct comparison. This is something that I've noticed again and again when comparing a horn loudspeaker to a conventional (cone) loudspeakers. Horns really do make a huuuuuge difference and are, in my opinion, responsible for the "open," "live" sound that Klipsch is famous for.