Chorus II's - Amp vs. Receiver

bmartin

I'm debating about hooking up an old amp to my current home theater system and I wanted some opinions as to whether or not I should.

Speakers

Chorus II - mains

Academy - center

White KSP S-6 - surrounds

Black KSP S-6 - back surrounds (which I'm willing to trade for another white set)

SVS PB12- Plus/2 - sub

Reciever - Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi

7 x 100 watts / channel into 8 ohms with THD of .09%

Optional Amp - Sony ES TA-N77ES (circa 1990)

I've had this amp for a long time but stopped using it a few years ago due to space limits in my equipment stand. I now have more room.

2 channel amp

200 Watts / channel into 8 ohms with THD of .004%

270 Watts / channel into 4 ohms with THD of .006%

Notes:

Currently I have all of my speakers set to "small" with a crossover of 80hz. My room size is 16x26 but I have the system set up the short way. Everything sounds great up to reference levels and beyond (if you can stand it that loud). Do I stand to benefit at all by adding this amp? Would it make a difference in 2 channel listening situations? Do the Chorus II's need more power given that they are set to "small"?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce

You can surely add the sony amplifier if you want, it would take the majority of the load off the receiver, it would then only have to power the center and surround speakers.

The reciever will run cooler, and have more reserve power available in the power supply to power the other remaining channels, without the supply "sagging" under intense all channels driven action. The fact that it will run cooler would be a major plus in extending the life of the receiver.

Chorus II or any speaker does not require any more power when set to small.

I have Chorus speakers in my HT (C/SB). I was powering

them with a receiver(Pioneer 912X). Not satisfied I bought a second

power amp on Ebay ( B&K St 140). The B&K passes a lot of

current to your speakers and Klipsch speakers love this. My first try

was with a ST140 and Klipschorns. Great detail and very clean sound.

I'm still powering my surrounds (Heresy) with the receiver but this

will change in '06. A good amp with Klipsch is a front row seat. Merry

Christmas!

I have a 5 series Pioneer on Reference 7s. There is a major improvement from outboard amplification. The center's performance will improve when more current is available, so there will be an improvement across the front three.

Be advised that when you pull the U clips to run your interconnects you will lose the ability to use head phones.

Bill

Thanks for the insight.

This is the kind of experience I was hoping to hear about. Now I just need to figure out how to use the 12v trigger on the receiver to power up the amp at start up. The amp I plan to use doesnt have a 12v input but my surge protector has several outlets that can be controlled by a 12v trigger. This should work.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />