FS-Vintage Marantz Receiver (2215b)

fletcherkane

Hi Guys,

I was at my local thrift store this week and came across this near mint Marantz 2215b receiver. It is from the early '70's and quite honestly, it sounds sweet. This thing is ultra clean. I have no need of it this unit and purchased it to sell. All of the lights work, and the gyro-touch-tuner is a pleasure to use...very precise and smooth. The front panel lights up in all blue lights...very retro. If no interest is found here, its off to ebay.

First $75 dollars plus shipping takes it home.

Click here for some basic info on the unit.

Here is a pic of the front side.

PM interested.

post-16813-13819278314634_thumb.jpg

Bill, I'm sure Indy still has that Denon waiting for you. btw, nice gesture, is Woodsman the guy you got your Forte's from?

That, gentlemen, is HOW IT WORKS here. Gentlemen all. (well most of em anyway). Well played.

Everyone gets what he needs, and hopefully within pickup distance. Bill, I go to Terre Haute occasionally, could possibly shuttle that Denon from Indy to you if you get the deal cut. Just let me know.

Michael

Agreed, Colter. I really love this place. I am not the most knowledgeable Klipschite around here, but always feel welcome. I probably coulda fetched a deal more off this receiver on ebay, but that wasn't why I bought it. It looked lonely amidst the other junk at the "Love's Treasures" thrift store in town. It actually hadn't even made it too the sales floor yet. I always make it a habit to peak my head into the back room when I go to those places. And, there it was, sitting on the counter, ready to be put for sale next to all the broken clock radios and console stereos with crappy turntables...

Anyway, I bought it with the express purpose of offering it here. I had no need of it...small house, several kids, to much audio gear already...needed a little xtra cash to cover Christmas for the kids...

I knew someone would want it here. Klipsch speakers are perfect for this 15wpc gem...it was a no brainer.

Merry Christmas all...

That is the truth Colter! I have it hooked up to my KG2.2's in my office today. It is really loud at three clicks up from zero on the dial. I am finally starting to realize what you all preached at me in one of my first posts on this forum...Some of you may remember...I asked why H/k receivers were so underpowered. They aren't...others just overrate theirs...

This receiver has an output on the backside that says "FM quadradial output" Anybody have any idea what that is? It is a mono RCA output...

googled quadradial for ya

there is also info about why Marantz 25 watts sounds as loud as others' 100 watts. Thread coming up.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mfaq.html

What is a receiver or tuner "FM Quadradial Output" jack used for?

A:

Quadradial jacks are basically a direct take-off of the FM detector circuit prior to the filters that remove the stereo subcarrier signal components at 19 and 38 kHz. The idea at the time was that FM stations would begin broadcasting in a 4 channel mode (some did, in fact, do so) and that Marantz (or a third party) would develop a device that would extract the 4-channel information from the "raw" FM signal available at the Quadradial jack in much the same manner that the stereo decoding circuitry in tuners had been extracting stereo since the late 50's/early 60's.

There were a number of quad encoding schemes tried; but all in all, there are very few, if any, external FM decoding units out there now, and of course there are no quad FM signals to decode, either...

That direct take off can be used to decode other specially encoded signals, though. There are a number of things "stuffed" into the FM signal such as SCA audio ("Muzak"-type stuff, usually), the new character station ID's and station class information signals (country, rock, classical, news, etc.) Perhaps we'll be able to use those outputs to drive external decoders for those features someday. It'd be interesting, at any rate, and it's certainly technically feasible.

If anyone knows of such decoders, let me know, and I'll make note of them right here.

You know... if you'd really like to amuse yourself, you could hook up an old external stereo decoder (like a Scott tube de-multiplexor) and then feed the output of the stereo decoder to another amp... it should work fine. Hmmm.

Thanks again Colter!
Here is the quote that got me from that thread....

Because 35 watts/channel as specified by Marantz in the 1970's meant...

"

The unit can deliver 35 watts into 8 ohms for one hour, from all channels at the same time, with no significant change in distortion, or other specifications, at any time during, or after, the test hour.
"

...while 100 watts/channel today (for instance, in my JVC surround system) means...

"

The unit can deliver 100 watts for a fraction of a second, in one channel only,
if
the other channels aren't running and nothing else high energy has happened to drain the power supply of stored energy in the last few seconds.
"

I giggled when I read that....It seems to be the truth...