Dont some tv shows just look to dark!?

TIbor

After calibrating my picture with the dve disk. Some tv shows(not high def) Look so dark there are almost impossible to watch. While others look perfect, even switching to the tv sports, standard,etc modes the picture still looks dark. Why do they shoot some shows so dark!?

Yes dvds look great, on the tv input hdtv looks great. But some tv shows that are not not hdtv look dark. 75 percent of the time it is fine but when they show a night scene or a dark setting, it is almost impossible to make anything out. I think it just that there is such a wide difference in different programs and how there are shot. I have to really pump up the brightness on the cable input compared to the dvd color setting.

thanks

Some better televisions let you have multiple settings for each input. In my case, I let the marantz do the video switching and use only one input of the television. In that case, I only calibrated once, satelite programs look as crisp as dvd ( depends on the compression ).

Again, it does look better in the low light that I calibrated in.

Could also be my less then stellar comcast cable reception. I have been tempted by satelite but I hate putting holes in my roof. Plus a lot of leave foilage during the summer.

My reciever doesnt have a hdmi input for the dvd player. Although running it though the reciever is something I have thought ofbut I dont always run the sound through my receiver for viewing tv. usually only if it is a show I really enoy or a game or something. I think it all comes down to the poor quality of the anolog stations. If I watch the hdef version of a show and swicth to the anolog one, the dark scenes always seem much better in hdtv.

Thanks for the respones!!

No need to have holes in the roof for a satelite dish, FYI. I will *never* endorse mounting a dish on the roof of anything. Just a sloppy sloppy way of doing things. What do you do with the cable coming out? Most are strung freely over the rain gutter ( if there is one ) withoug being fastened, not to mention the potential for water leaks that will manifest themselves years later.

Unfortunately the installers that work for the satelite companies take many shortcuts, as they are paid by the job, not by the hour. I have seen cables routed without drip loops ( important ), without proper grounding, routed into a wall without an entry bushing or sealant of any kind. You pretty much have to stand over them like a hawk.

I have seen dishes mounted on decks that heave in the winter, and have signal drop-outs, etc, requiring constant fiddling.

I personally think the TV stations do not setup their output to be to the NTSC standards hence why some look like crap...

I have 4 settings I can easily scroll through...

1 is for DVD which is set using DVE dvd...

2. is based on 1 but bit more brightness

3 is based on 2 but bit more brightness

4 is based on 4 with bit more brightness..

so I run on #1 all the time until I am into a show and find it dark then I try next setting up until I am happy...

Law and Order (the original) I know can look a bit dark in HD and non HD, but believe its shot on film or looks that way anyway. For HD for sure I prefer the deeper colors, more three dimensional look that the lower brightness settings give. When you go into Best Buy or Circuit City they yank the setting way up so the screen is practically on fire.