Distance to rear center channel?

Craig6519

I'm thinking of buying another C-7 for a future rear center upgrade, my only concern is that the center would half to be about 10-11 feet behind the listening position. My living room and dining room are combined so i'd need to put it that far back. Is this ok will it still sound right? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KG4 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

ART 351 Eq.

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Craig,

You should be okay. Your AV receiver should have a distance adjustment in the speaker setup area of the menu. That adjustment will let you specify the distance to each speaker in your HT, including the rear speaker. You can also adjust that channel's volume to match the other, closer, speakers in your setup.

Since I don't have that receiver, I can't comment further on how you access that menu. But, your center should work fine back there.

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

This message has been edited by RossVTaylor on 10-13-2001 at 04:02 PM

RossV, My Yamaha can't handle 6.1 right now, I just wanted to get another C-7 before they were all gone, It's definately something I want to upgrade to soon I hope.

Thanks

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KG4 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

ART 351 Eq.

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Craig, firstly, thanks for responding to my email. I'll have a make my way up to Mildenhall someday to check out your setup.

Your question got me surfing the net on theories on speaker placement. And, of course, everyone has different theories. Dolby states, "If possible, place surround speakers to either side of the listening area, not behind it http://www.dolby.com/ht/sound/sound3.html . While Home Theater Sound claims, "The surround speakers can be placed either behind or to the sides of the seating position, and preferably slightly above ear level. If the speakers are placed behind the listener and on a wall, the seats should be moved away from the wall so that the speakers are not too close to the listener. If the surround speakers are placed immediately to the sides of the seating position, they should be angled so that they do not fire directly into the ears of the listeners from either side.

http://www.hometheatersound.com/features/cinemacynergy/cc_20010101.htm

I've read some article suggesting two front channel speaker are pretty nice. Maybe worth a try!

Craig, firstly, thanks for responding to my email. I'll have a make my way up to Mildenhall someday to check out your setup.

Your question got me surfing the net for theories on speaker placement. And, of course, everyone has different theories. Dolby states, "If possible, place surround speakers to either side of the listening area, not behind it http://www.dolby.com/ht/sound/sound3.html . While Home Theater Sound claims, "The surround speakers can be placed either behind or to the sides of the seating position, and preferably slightly above ear level. If the speakers are placed behind the listener and on a wall, the seats should be moved away from the wall so that the speakers are not too close to the listener. If the surround speakers are placed immediately to the sides of the seating position, they should be angled so that they do not fire directly into the ears of the listeners from either side.

http://www.hometheatersound.com/features/cinemacynergy/cc_20010101.htm

I've read some article suggesting two front channel speaker are pretty nice. Maybe worth a try!

No poblem Rob, The invatation is still there, anytime you want. Anyway most of the suggestions you said I'm doing now, i'll check out those links and have a read anyway.

Thanks

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KG4 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

ART 351 Eq.

Yamaha DSP-A1