Speaker Wire

RoseRx

Your subwoofer is best served using a single shielded RCA signal cable, but it appears you're going to use the speaker level inputs and subsequently direct the powered signal to your mains or similar, so whatever gauge (14 in your above case) you want conducted to your passive speakers beyond the sub is what you should use. 14 gauge is fine unless you're traveling a very significant distance. Is there a reason you're going to use an amplified signal to your sub?

CAS,

Thanks for the advice. It's obvious I have a lot to learn.

Will it be a problem to run 70' of single shielded RCA signal cable & where it the best place to order it? I ordered my unshielded 14/2 spkr wire from Parts Express.

Should I have ordered "shielded" spkr wire for the rear bookshelf spkrs?

Shielded speaker wire isn't necessary unless you plan on running it at any length parallel to a power cable (unless you enjoy a possible 60 Hz hum). You'll be fine.

I would consider 70' significant. You may run into some signal degradation due to the distance and possible cumulative interference that may occur between source and destination. Consider a different approach that will limit your travel to around 5 meters if possible.

You can get sub cables at parts express, radio shack or even walmart I believe. Any audio dealer will have them.

p.s. How is your sub 70 feet from your receiver/processor?

It goes up one wall thru an attic crawl space due to a vaulted ceiling, then down the rear wall. If the ceiling was not vaulted, it would be a straight shot across the attic.

I guess I could run the cable next to the baseboard or place the sub-woofer upfront, near the receiver.

If the loudest/smoothest response is right where you have it placed, then you should run it next to the baseboard. If you want it hidden then run it behind the baseboard, under the carpet along the baseboard or through a vent. Do a search in the subwoofer forum regarding placement and you'll find good info so I won't reiterate it here. It's hard to advise without info such as listening habits and room layout/size but you get the jist. I found that my best response is just inside the left front corner, which helps immensely since all of the equipment is up front anyway [:)] Your placement will depend on your room.

My only wiring snaphoos came when finding appropriate paths for wiring the in-ceiling surrounds. The fire blocks at the top of each exterior wall require a 3-ft long, flexible drill bit and a bit of skill fish taping the wire along the studs from the attic above. Ack. Took most of the afternoon trying to figure out a simpler way but there wasn't one.

Anyway, let me know how it goes.

mine sounds best to the left front , in the corner also. if you think it sounds best on the opposite wall then by all means put it there. i would definitely consider a shorter run of cable if possible. around the baseboard would probably half the cable length. I'd suggest bluejeanscable.com if you want a well made cable at a respectable price without all the hype. sounds like you're using the high pass terminals on the woofer (correct me if I'm wrong). this would mean you need a lot more that 70' of cable to connect the + and - from both mains to the sub. however if you are using the LFE in on the sub id go with a shielded coax terminated with good RCA plugs.