recording ??????

joessportster

hello all i have a question concerning recording .

When i play or record on my teac x1000R reel to reel i get a lot of crackling type noise. i cleaned the heads and the machine was serviced less than a year ago question is could this be from needing demagnatized, or my fear the heads are worn??????

the heads look fine but i am by no means qualified to judge. Further info is i am using a new ampex (quantegy )tape for recording and an old gordon lightfoot tape that was bought (not a home recording). the machine has dbx1 however i dont use it as it seems to muffle sound at playback

all advice will be appreciated Joe

I believe de-magnetization should be a routine procedure under normal use. However, I always clean and de-mag before recording anything. Playback only, maybe after 10-12 hrs. Your inches may very. I'd definately look at getting one.

Usually, by not de-maging, the frequency response will suffer, but I don't know if it has any long term effects, like what you're describing. Can you confirm, by trying those tapes on another machine?

I'd think whoever went over the unit in the past year, would've mentioned a problem, or even created one just for business sake.

thanx for the input, i appreciate it.

a little more background, i bought the deck a few months ago from a tech, that takes them in and repairs and resales them, he didnt mention any problems(not that he would) but he does have a good reputation. the deck was doing the noise from day one, after i received it i just never gave it any thought but i am now interested in transferring some albums to tape for longer listening sessions and if i am to set and listen to it for extended periods i cant stand all the background noise going on. I havent used the deck more than 2 or 3 hours since i bought it so demagnatizeing has'nt been an issue.

Joe

I'm putting my money on static discharge. What is the Relative Humidity in your recording area? I have experienced the same thing with acetate, but seldom with mylar. There was some kind of anti-static spray but I don't remember what it was. You could use it on tapes or LPs. That was a long time ago. Maybe some of the brothers will remember.

DRBILL