Can ALK crossover be used like this?

rigma

I have a crazy idea!

300B SET connected to ALK Universal crossover with a dummy load on the woofer tap (just an 8 ohm resister or resister and inductor?) This would power the midrange and tweeter. Another ALK Universal crossover with dummy loads on mid and tweeter taps powered by Crown 300 DC to drive woofers. A splitter from each preamp channel to each amp input. Would this work? I know the 300B would be wasting power to the resistor but can live with that. I have tried the active crossover route and was not satisfied with the results. I love the sound of the 300B's on the mid & highs but want more oomph on the bass. I already have an extra pair of ALK's and the Crown so that is not an issue. Any input would be appreciated. Al what do you think? Do you have a better way I can do this using passive only?

Rigma

Rigma,

You could do that, but there is a much better way. My universal network has a actual "Bi-amp" input. Connect the high amp to that and forget the dummy load.

Use and active crossover (400 Hz) AHEAD of the two amps and run the low amp directly into the woofer driver with NO crossover at all. Run the SET amp and high driver from the 400Hz and Up output of the active crossover. You really live with a little SET amp wasting power. They have NONE to spare! Running the high end is all they are capable of above very low listening levels.

BTW: I don't recommend passive crossovers with a bi-amp set up. It makes very little sense!

look at the second page of this thread for info on the "Bi-amp" input. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/2/657287/ShowPost.aspx#657287

Al K.

Al,

I have tried that(active xover) & to my ears it killed the purity of the mid range tone. I am currently driving my Khorns through your network with just the 300B's and Berman 76 pre and love the sound but it's just a little bass shy but plenty of volume on mid & highs. Maybe a simple passive network to rolloff off the lows between the pre and amps so as not to waste as much to the resistor, but I don't know how to match the impedance to the amps and pre. Could you design somthing for me? I will be glad to pay you for your time.

Rigma

Rigma,

What you need is my extreme-slope networks driven from a single high quality amp of 50 WPC or more. What you are thinking of is a kluge. It's won't be as good as a well designed passive crossover or a correctly done bi-amp setup! Putting passive networks after multiple amps just introduces losses. The advantage of seperate amps is totally lost! The advantage of bi-amping is to allow a direct connection to each amp.

You might also consdier one of my new simple AP12 sereis with the ES5800 or the AP12 to the bi-amp input of the Universal and then build up one module at a time later.

Al K.