K77 T-S Numbers

paulio

I think your lack of response is that folks are scratching their heads a bit. T/S is primarily useful to speaker box builders for cone speakers - these measurements help one know the effects of the cone movement in designing the appropriate box for the desired frequency range.

The K77 is an integrated speaker (my term) - all of the speakerbox properties are built into the unit. Your issue becomes one of dispersement based on the horn flare (again my simple terms), placement on the baffle and rigidity (or lack therof) of the baffle.

Others can address this much more accurately and elequently than I.

ok, that makes sense to me, so i guess the question I should have asked is this:

As you may have guessed, I'm building a set of speakers with k77s in them. Since I know nothing about horns, what do I do with them?

(I think I asked the t-s question so that I'd feel better about the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing.)

Let us now more of your plans for the other drivers and the box you are planning to use and perhaps we can give you some pointers. The K-77 tweeter is rated at 104 db sensitivity. It also can take very little power and should be crossed over at 5000 hz or higher. A steep slope crossover will let you cross over to the K-77 at a slightly lower frequency but not much lower.

Bob Crites

as of now the only components I have are the k77s. I'm looking to build 4 way speakers. Woofers will be peavey black widow 1502s, upper mid will be jbl 2105h, and tweets will be the k77. I'm looking for a low mid speaker, so if anyone has any suggestions, i'm open to them. I have no idea what I'll be doing with the box as of yet, I've ordered some books and I'm waiting for them to arrive. I've also got a set of jbl 2441h's that I'll be building a subwoofer or 2 with. I'm figuring on powering them with velodyne spl series amps that i've picked up on ebay. I had originally considered the idea of putting the amped 2241s in the speaker, but since they'll have to be in a portion of the box all to themselves, I think it will make the boxes inordinately big. I've really got no timeframe on this, I'm doing it more for a fun long term project and learning experience than anything, so I'm quite open to any suggestions or information. I'd like to put a website, but I'm sure it will be a few weeks till I get around to designing something.

I often ask folks what they want from the loudspeaker first. For instance, are you trying to improve on a sound that you like. In my most recent build I was looking to build a 'bigger' sound akin to a Cornwall - this meant that I am a fan of the three way with crossover points similar to the cornwall and I wanted a bit more depth in the low frequencies. I ended up going both lower and higher in my all JBL configuration and I am quite pleased.

I have a couple of suggestions - First look to see if you can find some JBL networks that match your speaker preferences - it will be a challenge in a 4 way. Second - think about going for a JBL high Frequency that will have prebuilt crossovers that match. I like the K-77 but it is a rather limited top end. Lastly - you have an opportunity to build boxes within a box which goes quite a ways toward keeping your calculations simple and accurate - that is to say you can house your mids in separate boxes specific to the FR you desire and simply put them inside your larger woofer enclosure.

2 cents and good luck.

Lastly - you have an opportunity to build boxes within a box which goes quite a ways toward keeping your calculations simple and accurate - that is to say you can house your mids in separate boxes specific to the FR you desire and simply put them inside your larger woofer enclosure.

something I hadnt thought of, but a very very good point.